Below are the most commonly used ITS tools and resources for faculty and researchers. To view all of our services, go to Browse Services.
Connect to WiFi & Network
- Use MSetup to configure your devices for MWireless and eduroam. Michigan Medicine provides a WiFi network in their locations.
- MWireless is the most secure and fastest wireless network on campus and is available in most campus buildings and on the Diag.
- Eduroam is available to faculty, staff, and students when visiting other universities and colleges. Eduroam provides the same speed, access, and security, while supporting older devices not capable of connecting to MWireless.
- Ask campus visitors to use MGuest, a limited WiFi network that does not require a uniqname and password.
- Working Remotely: Use the U-M Virtual Private Network (VPN) for an encrypted, secure connection to university resources that require a university network when you are off-campus.
Collaboration & Productivity Tools
- Remote Resource Guide
A collection of technology resources that helps bring your university work with you when connecting from anywhere in the world.
Keep track of your academic life with U-M's learning management system.
- G Suite For Education
Email, Calendar, Drive, and 40+ additional collaborative apps.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
Download and start using Adobe apps to create what you need.
- Microsoft Office 365
Download & online access: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive and other Microsoft apps.
- Wolverine Access
One-click access to the U-M tools and resources you use the most. Sign in to customize your individual homepage and edit your personal employment info, sign up to receive UM Emergency Alerts, and more.
Use BlueJeans, Zoom, or Google Meet to host virtual meetings and classrooms with live video, audio, and content sharing from most devices. The Videoconferencing Tool Comparison Guide can help you decide which is right for you.
Use the MCommunity online directory to find contact information and more for all members of the U-M community. Update your directory profile and create and manage email groups.
Storage & Cloud Based Computing
- Data Storage Options
- Traditional Online Storage
MiStorage and AFS Storage are two low-cost and full featured options for researchers and departments.
Cloud file storage that provides automatic back-up and is readily accessible from any device.
Secure cloud collaboration and storage service to share and collaborate on files. Integrates with Canvas.
- Google Drive
Cloud document creation and collaboration application that integrates across all core G Suite services, including Google Mail.
- Traditional Online Storage
- Cloud Based Computing
Set Up Printing
- For MiWorkspace Computers
Install additional approved software from the Software Center (for Windows) or Managed Software Center (for Macs)
- Software Store
Find licensed software available at reduced price to university faculty and staff.
- Tech Shop (formerly Computer Showcase)
Want software for personal use? Tech Shop offers discounted educational prices on popular software and hardware.
Protect Your Data
- Sensitive Data Guide
This tool recommends secure and compliant services available on the UM-Ann Arbor campus.
- Practice Safe Computing
- Backup Your Data—Review your choices for backing up data on PC desktops, laptops, and servers.
- Use Anti-Virus Software—Download university-approved, free anti-virus software to securely connect to the U-M computing environment and the internet.
- Secure Data on Mobile Devices—Learn tips to protect sensitive personal information and keep your data out of the wrong hands in case of loss or theft.
- Secure Data Before Traveling—Check out the data security tips before traveling or conducting field research.
- Report online abuse, harassment, or suspicious email: Contact the university’s user advocate via the ITS Service Center.
For Teaching & Student Engagement
- Canvas Keep track of your academic life with U-M's learning management system.
- Faculty Center
Manage your classes and academic advisory activity from the Faculty Center. Access the Faculty Center from Wolverine Access, under Faculty Business.
Use MiVideo to organize, catalog, share, search, and publish multimedia content.
- Remote Office Hours Queue
Manage a group of students waiting to meet with you during your office hours. The tool creates a unique and private videoconference meeting for each person.
ExamScan converts handwritten and graded exams to digital form, allowing instructors to return exams electronically and retain access permanently. It saves time for students and instructors and improves academic integrity. It is especially valuable in large classes.
- LinkedIn Learning
Access an on-demand learning platform with training resources about business, technology, and creative skills.
- Request Specialty Course Software
Instructors can request specialty software to be available on Campus Computing Sites computers for your course. When making your request, please keep in mind the end-of-term Campus Computing Sites software environment freeze schedule.
- Reserve Computing Classroom
Campus Computing offers several classrooms that can be reserved for instructional purposes.
- Teaching Remotely
Use our Remote Resource Guide - Teaching & Student Engagement for information about all the services and tools available to help you educate and engage from a distance.
- Canvas for Teaching
ITS Teaching & Learning offers daily Canvas workshops. All workshops are recorded.
- ITS Training
Find workshops, documentation, and support for a number of ITS services.
- Instructional Accessibility Tips
Ensure your digital content is accessible to students with disabilities by following these instructional accessibility tips.
- Academic Technology Consultation
ITS Teaching & Learning offers consultation services in many areas including learning system integrations, evaluation and piloting of learning tools, use of learning tools to enhance student engagement and learning assessment, and use of video for instruction and learning activities.
- High Speed Networks for Research
Data intensive science requires a mix of compute, storage, and networking technologies, and, depending on your algorithm and funding, you may use a mix of on- or off-campus resources.
- Data Storage Finder
Browse and compare data storage options, including high-powered computing and large file storage options, available through ITS.
- Statistical or Other Complex Computation
- Login Service - A shared pool of Linux machines with pre-installed software, including Pine, vi, compilers, and SSH.
- ITS Statistics and Computation Service - A set of Linux-based servers for computationally intensive or long-running programs. Advanced statistical and mathematical software is available.
Manage Projects & Grants
Visit the eResearch website to learn about research proposals and regulatory processes, and how to review and complete project/grant award submissions, research proposals, and regulatory compliance applications.
Use MReports to create and view research and project grant reports and up-to-date financial statuses.