Below are the most commonly used ITS tools and resources for staff. To view all of our services, go to Browse Services.
Connect to WiFi
- Use MSetup to configure your devices for MWireless and eduroam. Michigan Medicine provides a WiFi network in their locations.
- MWireless is the most secure and fastest wireless network on campus and is available in most campus buildings and on the Diag.
- Eduroam is available to faculty, staff, and students when visiting other universities and colleges. Eduroam provides the same speed, access, and security, while supporting older devices not capable of connecting to MWireless.
- Ask campus visitors to use MGuest, a limited WiFi network that does not require a uniqname and password.
- Working Remotely: Use the U-M Virtual Private Network (VPN) for an encrypted, secure connection to university resources that require a university network when you are off-campus.
Essential Websites & Apps
- Remote Resource Guide
A collection of technology resources that helps bring your university work with you when connecting from anywhere in the world.
- Google Workspace for Education
Email, Calendar, Drive, and 40+ additional collaborative apps.
Cloud file storage that provides automatic back-up and is readily accessible from any device.
Cloud storage to share and discuss documents online. Retiring—will no longer be available as of December 1, 2021.
- Microsoft Office 365
Download & online access: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive and other Microsoft apps.
- Wolverine Access
One-click access to the U-M tools and resources you use the most. Sign in to customize your individual homepage and edit your personal employment info, update your UM Emergency Alerts, and more.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
Download and start using Adobe apps to create what you need.
Use Zoom, Google Meet or Microsoft Teams to host virtual meetings and classrooms with live video, audio, and content sharing from most devices. The Videoconferencing Tool Comparison Guide can help you decide which is right for you.
Use the MCommunity online directory to find contact information and more for all members of the U-M community. Update your directory profile and create and manage email groups.
Set Up Printing
- For MiWorkspace Computers
Install additional approved software from the Software Center (for Windows) or Managed Software Center (for Macs)
- Software Store
Find licensed software available at reduced price to university faculty and staff.
- Tech Shop (formerly Computer Showcase)
Tech Shop sales, support, and service add up to your one-stop shop for all your technology needs with academic pricing and exclusive payment options.
- LinkedIn Learning
- Gain new skills and advance your career with access to over 15,000 on-demand learning platforms with training resources about business, technology, and creative skills
- Follow pre-designed learning paths to gain a full understanding of a topic.
- Find personalized recommendations based on your experience and interests.
- Michigan Online
Learn new skills and earn certificates through free courses designed by U-M faculty and instructors.
Tips for Safe Computing
Visit the Safe Computing website for security best practices to protect your computer, mobile devices, data, and your identity
- Choosing a strong and secure UMICH Password keeps your identity and U-M systems safe. Set up account recovery preferences to reset your password if you forget it.
- Download free anti-virus software to securely connect to the U-M computing environment and the internet.
- Report online abuse, harassment, or suspicious emails to the university's user advocate.
- Register your laptop with U-M Department of Public Safety.
- Use a security kit to lock down computer components.