U-M Google Updates
The Collaboration Services Team
Tip: Did you know? You can change your site's text and header styles.
Learn more about Google at the G Suite Learning Center
U-M Google November Summary
The monthly U-M Google Summaries inform campus of Google releases for Core Apps as well as the Non-Core Apps (those that are not part of the G Suite for Education agreement). We communicate important information on Core Apps throughout the month. Core and Non-Core Apps are listed on the G Suite website
- Insert images with greater ease in Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets
- View and modify all of your Team Drives using the Google Drive API
- Copy comments and suggestions in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- New languages now supported in Google Docs and Slides as well as Docs editors templates
Reminder: New Google Calendar on the Web
Last month we announced a new Google Calendar interface on the web. It applies a modern color palette and sleek design using a responsive layout that auto-adjusts to your screen size. Try it out today by clicking Use new Calendar at the top of your calendar web view. If for some reason you want to switch back to Classic Calendar, you can find it in the new Calendar settings.
The current Classic Calendar will remain available until February 28, 2018. Google will then switch all Classic Calendars to the new Calendar. Learn more at the Google support site.
U-M Google October Summary
The monthly U-M Google Summaries inform campus of Google releases for Core Apps as well as the Non-Core Apps (those that are not part of the G Suite for Education agreement). We communicate important information on Core Apps throughout the month. Core and Non-Core Apps are listed on the G Suite website.
- Present Like a Pro: New Updates in Slides
- Use Google Drive and the Files App to Organize Content on your iOS 11 Device
- New features in Google’s Contacts app on Android
- Dial into a Hangouts Meet video call
- Turning Down the In-App Passcode Feature in Google
- New! Google Calendar on the Web
- Create custom headers and footers in Google Sheets
- Google Tips, Tricks, and Ideas
- Google Team Drives Went Live October 25
- Reminder: Google Drive File Stream on MacOS - If installed on macOS, some virus scan apps try to scan the entire “Google Drive” volume that is automatically mounted upon login. This drastically reduces performance. To avoid this, the “Google Drive” volume should be excluded from the virus scan. MiWorkspace devices already exclude it from being scanned.
Expanded page hierarchy in the new Google Sites
One feature we were missing in the new Sites was deep page hierarchy. Google heard our feedback and now made it possible to nest five levels of pages in the new Google Sites, up from the two levels previously allowed. To nest a page within a page, drag and drop it into your desired location from the Pages menu on the right side of your screen.