This page provides information about known accessibility barriers and workarounds. Questions can be sent to the Knox Center staff at Sites.Knox@umich.edu. General information about Information Technology (IT) Accessibility at the University of Michigan is on the U-M IT Accessibility Efforts page.
Google continues to have multiple accessibility issues, and the Fall 2012 Provost letter on accessibility provides guidance. If a student contacts you to request use of an alternative to Google or any other technology as an accommodation, please ask them to contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). SSD can then verify the disability and provide appropriate support.
- G Suite user guide to accessibility — information on screen readers, keyboard shortcuts, and more arranged by each app
- Google Accessibility Products and Features — instructions on how to make apps more accessible
Gmail Accessibility Information
U-M Google Mail upgraded to a new interface on September 18, 2018. The “classic” interface is more familiar and may be more accessible for some users. To switch to the classic U-M Google Mail:
Select the Settings button in the upper-right corner. The Settings button is identified by the gear icon. Once you have selected Settings, select the first option "Go back to classic University of Michigan Mail" The classic interface will load automatically.
If you are using a screen reader and would like to revert back to classic Gmail:
- Once the main Gmail Interface is loaded, press “Control+Home” to return to the top of the page.
- Press the “h” key 4 times to reach the Conversations heading.
- Press “Shift+b” once to navigate to the previous button which is Settings.
- Press Enter on this button to open the Settings menu.
- Press the Down arrow key once to reach “Go Back to University of Michigan Classic Mail” and press Enter to activate this option.
These instructions were designed using NVDA screen reader and Firefox.
Effective October 16, 2018 “classic” Gmail will be discontinued. If you revert to classic, be aware that you will be automatically upgraded again at that time and the “classic” interface will no longer be available.
- macOS (for all applications) - Apple support site
- Windows (for all programs) - Windows support site
- Earth - Google support site
- Maps - shortcutkeys.net
- YouTube - shortcutkeys.net
Contact Google directly with questions and comments via their feedback form. You may also join the Accessibility Google Group and view the archive. Use the Join group to post button. Google staff read and occasionally respond to messages there.
- Organize email with Labels and Filters
- We do not recommend using Sites to create compliant websites
Here are some tips from Google on how to improve accessibility in Google Sites
- Issues and Workarounds for Dragon NaturallySpeaking v. 12
Note: We have not tested Google Apps with the Macintosh version of Dragon
- Issues and Workarounds for Read and Write Gold