Welcome to Michigan!
This is a short guide to many of the IT services and resources available to undergraduate and graduate students while at Michigan.
As a member of the U-M community, you automatically receive standard computing services, which includes email, printing allotments, online storage options and more.
Get Connected and Stay Connected
Campus Computing Sites & Technology Resources
Campus Computing Sites
Campus Computing Sites have more than 2,000 Windows and Mac machines, laser printers, scanners, and instructional and training materials. All Sites (excluding most of the cyberstations) provide black and white laser printing, and several provide color or large format printing.
Find a Sites Location
Sites computers and print-only stations are located in convenient locations around campus.
- 17 general use Sites on Central Campus
- 4 general use Sites on North Campus
- 100+ cyberstation locations around campus in study lounges, dining areas, collaboration, and social spaces.
View the map of the Campus Computing Sites to see the software, and printing options are available at each location.
Get help with standard computing services and Sites-related computing questions.
- Angell Hall
- Computer Showcase in the Michigan Union
- Computer Showcase in Pierpont Commons
- Knox Center — Shapiro Library (by appointment)
- Stephen M. Ross Academic Center (available to athletes only)
Computer Showcase - Michigan Union: 734-763-6181
Computer Showcase - Pierpont Commons: 734-763-3966
For help with:
- Virus remediation and software troubleshooting
- Software and hardware installations and upgrades
- Data backups and transfers
- Full warranty and out-of-warranty repairs for Apple, Dell and HP computers
Access software on Campus Computing Sites Windows workstations from any Mac or Windows computer with an internet connection. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Use MPrint to send documents to any networked Campus Computing Sites printer from any computer or mobile device! Visit MPrint online for a directory of printers and print-only computers on campus.
Knox Center Adaptive Technology Computing Site
Specializes in hardware and software that meets the needs of people with temporary or permanent disabilities.
Technology Support for U-M Housing Residents
Provides the necessary tools and resources for residents to successfully use technology in the residence halls.
Community Learning Centers (CLCs)
Study in comfortable community areas equipped with computer workstations. Located in each residence hall, these common areas are designed for group work and individual study.
Shapiro Library & Pierpont Commons
Pick your computers, tablets, software and other essential tech accessories at great academic prices. Browse the product catalog online or stop in one of our two locations.
ITS Service Center
For help with ALL your campus computing and technology questions, including:
- Computing accounts
- Uniqname and password
- Wolverine Access
- Billing inquiries
- Much more!
Online Resources & Services
- Canvas — Keep track of your academic life with U-M's learning management system.
- Google Apps (G Suite) for Education — Email, Calendar, Drive, and 40+ additional collaborative apps.
- Box Cloud Storage — Unlimited free cloud storage to share and discuss documents online.
Use the MCommunity online directory to find contact information and more for all members of the U-M community. Visit MCommunity to:
- Update your directory profile.
- Forward your U-M email to a different address.
- Create and manage email groups.
Visit the Safe Computing website for security best practices to protect your computer, mobile devices, data, and your identity.
- Download free anti-virus software to securely connect to the U-M computing environment and the internet.
- Report online abuse, harassment, or suspicious email to the university's User Advocate.
- Register your laptop with U-M Department of Public Safety
- We recommend using a security kit to lock down computer components.
Choosing and Changing a Safe and Secure UMICH Password
Set up account recovery preferences to reset your password if you forget it.
- MWireless is the fastest, most secure WiFi on campus, available in most university buildings and residence halls.
- Use MSetup to configure your devices for MWireless and eduroam.
- Visitors to campus can use MGuest, a limited WiFi network that does not require a uniqname and password.
Internet in Residence Halls
- MWireless and ethernet connections are available in the residence halls. Check out the ResComp website or Northwood Net website for more information and to find out what supplies you'll need to connect.
- Avoid using personal devices like WiFi routers and printer that broadcast their own network. Such items degrade the shared campus network.
- Use a wired connection when possible. Wired connections are always faster than WiFi connections. Using a wired connection frees up space on campus
WiFi networks for others who need it.
- Discover campus resources to support your academics, health, career, and more
- One-click access to your grades, class schedule, backpacking/registration, account balance, and other important info
- Quick access to Canvas course pages
- Register for classes, view schedules, transcripts, and financial aid information.
- Edit your personal and employment information.
- Sign up to receive UM Emergency Alerts.
- Create a Friend Account to share financial aid, billing, and more with parents and others.
Michigan App & Mobile Apps Center
Look up class schedules, check the Magic Bus schedule, stay in touch with the latest U-M news and events, and much more! The Michigan App is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play.