Last Updated August 24, 2023
The University of Michigan (U-M) recognizes and values the privacy of its community members and guests. We strive to be leaders and best in the ways we manage your personal information. We are committed to transparency by giving you an understanding of what personal information we collect, how we use it, and when we share it.
This notice applies to our practices for collecting and processing personal information related to the ITS Artificial Intelligence (AI) Services. Use of the ITS AI Services is limited to within the United States.
At a Glance
- Our goal is to limit the information we collect to what we need to support your use of ITS AI Services, including U-M GPT and U-M Maizey.
- We are committed to using your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected.
- We do not sell or license your personal information and when we share it outside U-M, it is only to enable operations and services on U-M’s behalf (for instance, sharing with the vendor of the cloud environment where ITS AI Services reside), meet legal obligations, or protect the safety, property or rights of U-M, its community, and its guests.
- Data shared with ITS AI Services by you will not be used to train the AI models made available by the U-M through the ITS AI Services.
- The use of personal information collected by this service is safeguarded through several mechanisms, including Information Assurance and U-M policies, such as Privacy and the Need to Monitor and Access Records (SPG 601.11) and Institutional Data Resource Management Policy (SPG 601.12).
- This is a new service. There will be on-going updates to it and this privacy notice will be updated to reflect any changes to our use or collection of your data.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your privacy, you can contact us at [email protected].
What Information We Collect
ITS AI Services collect your input into the AI applications when you directly provide it to us, such as when you log in, enter prompts or questions, and upload documents.
ITS AI Services also capture some information about you automatically when you use the services. Automatically collected information may include:
- The Internet domain you use
- Your device’s IP address
- Your Internet Service Provider
- The type of browser
- The date and time of visit
- The address of the website that linked to ITS AI Services
- Information about your role at the U-M and other related HR and student data via Single Sign On.
How We Use Personal Information
The University of Michigan uses information about your interactions with ITS AI Services to:
- Monitor performance and make improvements to functionality and user experience.
- Provide support for questions about using the web applications or troubleshoot issues.
- Enforce token quota limitation and enable internal billing.
- Provide persistence of user prompt history across sessions with the ITS AI services.
We use de-identified and/or aggregated information to:
- Monitor trends on the use of the tool to inform the product roadmap.
- Monitor application performance to inform improvements to the application, such as device and browser compatibility, application features, etc.
- Develop projections for future usage and anticipate service costs.
The use of personal information collected by this service is safeguarded through several mechanisms, including Information Assurance and U-M policies, such as Privacy and the Need to Monitor and Access Records (SPG 601.11) and Institutional Data Resource Management Policy (SPG 601.12).
With Whom We Share Personal Information
We do not sell or license your personal information collected here. To operate the ITS AI Services, however, we must share your prompt data with the cloud vendor utilized to host the ITS AI services.
We require U-M’s service providers to keep your personal information secure and do not allow them to use or share it for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
In addition, you can choose to share your U-M Maizey experience with other U-M community members.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of U-M, members of the U-M community, and U-M guests.
How We Keep Personal Information Secure
U-M recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects. We strive to protect information from unauthorized access and damage and ensure reasonable security measures are in place to keep your personal information secure.
Privacy Notice Changes
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
Who to Contact with Questions or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact us at [email protected].