These Terms of Service (these “Terms”) govern your access to and use of the ITS AI Services, including U-M GPT, U-M Maizey and U-M GPT Toolkit (collectively, the “Services”). The Services are made available by the Regents of the University of Michigan (“U-M”).
1. Your Access
By utilizing the Services, you provide explicit consent for the collection of certain personal information. This is in accordance with and detailed more specifically in the privacy notice.
Regardless of the physical location from which you access or use the Services, which shall be limited to use within the United States, you will be considered to be accessing or using information technology of U-M.
2. Code of Conduct
As a condition of your access and use, you agree that you will use the Services only for lawful purposes and in accordance with these Terms. You have an obligation to responsibly use U-M Information Technology resources (including, but not limited to, SPG 601.07 Responsible Use of Information Resources). You agree to abide by the following:
- You will not share access credentials.
- You will comply with prohibitions on inputting certain sensitive or confidential information in connection with your use of the Services in accordance with the Sensitive Data Guide.
- You will not use the Services in violation of any U-M policies.
- By using the Services, you represent that any use of the Services are limited to within the United States.
- You will not engage in unlawful, illegal, or fraudulent activity, including, without limitation, by engaging in unauthorized access or unauthorized use of the Services.
- You will not damage, disrupt, interfere with, diminish, or render inaccessible or unusable the Services, or attempt to do so, or encourage or assist others to do so.
- You will not attempt to circumvent or violate the security of the Services in any way.
- You will not use the Services to perpetrate a hoax or engage in phishing schemes or forgery or other similar falsification or manipulation of data.
- You will not use the Services to violate any copyright or other intellectual property laws.
- You acknowledge that content produced by the Services cannot be copyrighted and will not attempt to pursue or secure any copyright protection on such content.
- You will not use the Services to abuse, harass, stalk, threaten, or otherwise violate the legal rights of others.
- You will not use the Services to libel or defame others.
- You will not resell or charge others for the Services, either directly or indirectly.
- You will not rely on the Services for medical, legal, financial or other professional advice. Any content regarding those topics are provided for informational or educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice from a qualified professional nor does it constitute any statement or opinion on the behalf of U-M.
3. Suspension and Termination of Your Use of the Services
If you breach or violate these Terms, your access to and use of the Services may be suspended or terminated.
4. Changes to these Terms
U-M may make changes to these Terms at any time in its sole discretion. U-M will inform you that changes have been made via this web page. You should routinely check the web page to find out if any changes have been made that affect your use of the Services. By accessing the Services following the posting of changes, you agree to all such changes.
5. Disclaimer and Limitation of Liability
The Services are being provided to you on an “as is” basis without any representations, warranties or conditions, whether express or implied, including any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, satisfactory quality, title or non-infringement.
Large Language Models (“LLMs”) like those hosted in ITS AI Services are designed to use natural language. The Service does its best to generate accurate information based on the diverse range of internet text it has been trained on. However, it does not verify or fact-check the information it provides. Moreover, it does not have access to real-time data or updates, nor does it understand the information it provides in the way humans do. LLMs are not sentient and their output should not be used without human fact-checking and intervention. You expressly agree and acknowledge that these Services may not provide accurate information. You should evaluate any results from your use of the Services for accuracy and appropriateness for your use case prior to relying on, publishing or otherwise using any content provided by the Services. Content provided by the Services do not constitute any representations or express the views of U-M.
Nothing in these Terms or otherwise is intended to, and U-M does not, waive any governmental or other immunities or defenses that may be granted, applicable, or available to U-M in any way whatsoever.
6. Governing Law
This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of Michigan.
Your access to and use of services are governed by this agreement. In the event you have any questions about this agreement, contact the ITS Service Center.
If any part of these Terms is determined to be invalid or unenforceable then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision, and the remainder of this agreement will continue in effect. The failure of U-M to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. You are prohibited from assigning this agreement or transferring your rights under this agreement to anyone else.
8. Third Party Services
Any third-party software, services, or other products licensed or used in connection with the Services are subject to their own terms and you expressly agree to abide by such terms to the extent applicable, including, but not limited to: