- Identify the conference room where you will be installing U-M Zoom Rooms.
- Consult with your unit departments (Facilities, IT, or A/V) and confirm who in your unit will be responsible for the installation and support. (List of Current Subscribers)
- Prepare the conference room for U-M Zoom Rooms installation with power and network installations and complete any necessary network configurations. Tech Shop does not install hardware packages. It is the responsibility of the purchasing unit to prepare the conference room and install purchased hardware. This is usually accomplished with the help of unit IT or local Facilities and Operations (F&O). See Install U-M Zoom Rooms for additional installation information.
- Note: Power over Ethernet (PoE) is required to power the touch panel controller. Most facilities have PoE switches in place already, but if yours does not, a PoE injector (802.3af Class 3) will need to be purchased separately to power the touch panel controller.
- Set up the room in Google Calendar or as a Room (if it is not already set up). Rooms scheduled by other systems are not supported. View instructions to set up a new room in Google Calendar.
- Identify the valid department Shortcode that will be used for the hardware purchase and annual license renewal (separate Shortcodes can be used).
- Determine if users of your conference room will use assistive technology and see accessibility recommendations.
Order U-M Zoom Rooms from the Tech Shop using your authorized department Shortcode.
- Go to the Tech Shop website and purchase your desired hardware package for the conference room. The Tech Shop website will display the latest ETA information for any products not currently in stock.
- After the order is placed you will receive two emails:
- An email confirming your U-M Zoom Rooms hardware purchase
- An email with links to activate your U-M Zoom Rooms License for each conference room.
- Follow the instructions sent in the U-M Zoom Rooms License activation email so that Tech Shop can complete the activation steps for your device before your order is fulfilled. This step must be completed for each conference room before the Tech Shop can fulfill your order.
- You will be notified by the Tech Shop when your order is ready for pick up at a Tech Shop location.
Zoom Rooms equipment is preconfigured, prestaged, and designed to work out of the box, so you can start joining meetings as soon as your hardware installation is complete.
Note that Tech Shop does not install hardware packages. It is the responsibility of the purchasing unit to install purchased hardware. This is usually accomplished with the help of unit IT or local Facilities and Operations (F&O).
When setting up networking, please consult the Network Configuration Best Practices.
Telephone Functionality steps can be found in the article "Enable Telephone Functionality in U-M Zoom Rooms."
For useful contacts for installation, please consult the Installation Best Practices knowledge article for physical hardware installation information as well as useful contacts to get installation help.
We recommend that once your installation is complete you communicate with typical users of the conference room using the U-M Zoom Rooms Communication Toolkit:
U-M Zoom Rooms leverages the Zoom meeting platform, so meeting controls will be familiar to most users. The technology is designed for you to start your scheduled meeting with a single button press as soon as you enter the conference room.