The University of Michigan is committed to rolling out IPv6 connectivity for campus researchers and students. To that end Merit Network was asked by its board to create the IPv6 Readiness Program. This program has trained many IT professionals across our campus in the specifics of IPv6 as it relates to their jobs. ITS has enabled our Core and Distribution layers of the network with IPv6 addresses and routing.
To add IPv6 to an existing public IPv4 network (aka dual stack) or request an IPv6 only network, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Network name
- Building name
- Contact Information (name, email, phone)
- Indicate whether you want a dual stack or v6 only network
UMNet will inform you when your network is ready.
IPv6 is still experimental at the university, this means:
- IPv6 is not currently recommended for production services or systems.
- IPv6 networks and hosts are not yet monitored. If you notice an outage, contact email@example.com.
- IPv6 is not currently supported by campus firewalls.