In November 2017, U-M users of Google G Suite gained the option to try an updated, new Google Calendar for the web. Users were able to switch to the new Calendar and switch back to the Classic calendar in preparation for Google moving to the new Calendar in February.
Starting February 28, Classic Google calendar will be retired, and the New Google Calendar will become standard. The option to switch back to Classic calendar will be retired as well.
With the new Calendar for web, you can:
- See conference room details when booking a room. Hover over a room name in Calendar and a hovercard will pop up with details about the conference room location and resources.
Note: ITS is currently working on a plan to convert existing calendars to the new format and add the resource details.
- Add rich formatting and hyperlinks to Calendar invites. Link to spreadsheets, documents or presentations in your Calendar invite and open them from the new Event Detail view. Create more detailed agendas and keep materials in one place before the meeting starts.
- Manage multiple calendars side by side in Day view. Click Day view and select the calendars to compare.
- See contact information of meeting participants by hovering over their names in a Calendar invite.
- Day, Week, and Month views are now more accessible, featuring better compatibility with screen readers.
Some changes we have noted in the new version:
- In order to use SMS notifications, phone numbers need to be setup and verified again.
- When creating an event, Edit Event is now called More Options.
- You now see more details about an event if you single click on it.
Learn more at the Google support site.