Sponsor: Vijayaraja Thiruvengadam & Jim Behm
Project Manager: Jennifer Swaney & Svetla Sytch
We envision a university culture where the approach to ownership, governance, transparency, and use of data is coordinated and consistent. This shift in the culture regarding data will be supported by technology and common data principles throughout the U-M environment.
- Institutional data will be accessible and responsive, reducing the need for unit-ownership or the creation of duplicative data.
- Data will be available through intuitive, self-service interfaces.
- IT professionals across the university will work collaboratively to support common, user-centric services and tools
- IT Security, privacy, and appropriate and ethical use of data will be always be accounted for.
- Data will be accurate, consistent, and complete through effective governance.
- U-M will have an open and reliable data environment, with appropriate security and privacy based on role.
- Data definitions will be consistent across the university, reducing risk and improving quality.
The initial phases of this initiative are focused on exploring and proving out initial concepts and processes for our data to move towards achieving our vision. Currently, that includes working with Rackham and Student Life to capture data flows with their systems, developing a beta voice assistance tool for researchers to access information about their research grant award financials and investigating business intelligence analytics search tools.