The Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) service is part of the university’s overall information security framework. The NGFW protects university information assets from cyber criminals and stops threats to the network through the application of content inspection, cloud-based threat intelligence, and malicious software analysis. The platform provides consistent protection and enhances the university’s information security efforts.
NGFW allows ITS to increase security and view traffic patterns and analysis for threat mitigation. It also allows real-time analysis and response based on application traffic.
NGFW includes management software capable of operating the NGFW, Palo Alto firewalls, and Wildfire IPS Systems.
- Layer 7 functionality - application awareness (App ID)
- Intrusion Prevention Service (IPS)
- Planned MiServer/Cloud integration
- Visibility, logging, and reporting of application data
- Ability to create application rules and policies
- Planned Active Directory (AD) integration
- URL filtering - allow/deny lists and reports on URL activity
- Malware and phishing categories updated every 5 minutes
- Network Anti-Virus
- Sandboxing - automatically send samples for malware analysis
- Role-based administration
- External threat feeds (i.e., MITN)
- Increased blocking of high-risk traffic
- Increased performance
- Increased data visibility
- Complete control over network traffic
- Improved reporting
- Customizable administrative control