See more remote resources for connecting from home.

  • Connect to university research resources: A U-M Virtual Private Network (VPN) is required to access all ARC services including Great Lakes HPC Cluster, Armis2 HPC Cluster, Lighthouse HPC Cluster, ThunderX Cluster, ConFlux, and Yottabyte Research Cloud (YBRC). Be aware that performance may be slower due to the different internet capacity of home networks.
    Alternatively, use secure shell (SSH) to and then SSH again to appropriate ARC resources. Follow the command line documentation for the specific ARC resource. To use, you must have AFS storage.
  • Access research data storage: Contact ARC at to arrange alternative access to your data if you cannot access data stored on Turbo Research Storage, Locker Large-File Storage, or Data Den Research Archive.
  • Data transfer: For reliable file transfers with or without VPN, use Globus File Transfer to access your research data. Globus is supported on the Great Lakes HPC Cluster, Lighthouse HPC Cluster, ConFlux, and the ThunderX Cluster. For other systems continue to use scp/sftp or other supported transfer. Contact for help.
  • Michigan Medicine VPN: Most ARC services are accessible from the Michigan Medicine VPN. Known exceptions are Yottabyte Research Cloud (YBRC) and CIFS exports on Turbo or Locker storage services.
    If you are using the Michigan Medicine VPN and you cannot access ARC resources, try disconnecting from the Michigan Medicine VPN, and then connecting to the U-M VPN. If that does not work or you have questions, contact ARC at
  • Great Lakes On-Campus Queue: Log in to the on-campus login node to access the software provided there. The usual access off-campus restrictions will be temporarily lifted to match the regular, Great Lakes HPC Cluster queues.
  • Connect to OSiRIS (Open Storage Research Infrastructure): Use the U-M Virtual Private Network (VPN to access the OSiRIS infrastructure management tasks. Log in via your previously federated account to access this page. More information can be found on the OSiRIS wiki page. Email for help.
  • General tips for conducting research remotely:


If you have feedback or suggestions for this guide, please let us know. For other questions or to get help with the services in this guide, please contact the ITS Service Center.