The University of Michigan’s Virtual Private Network (UMVPN) creates a secure, encrypted connection between your device and the U-M network and enables access to university resources from untrusted networks. VPN service is available at no cost to all university students, faculty, staff, and some sponsored affiliates with a valid uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password at Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint.
- If you are unable to access a campus resource, try connecting to the VPN first. Some university services require VPN when you access them from outside the university network.
- Please note the Guidance on use of unauthorized VPNs or similar extensions of U-M networks
- A Friend account will not allow the use of the VPN.
The service enables users to:
- extend the university’s private, secure, and managed network to their personal devices when using off campus networks.
- send and receive university or personal data through a dedicated and encrypted connection across shared or public networks.
- access applications or data which require an on campus connection (e.g., academic resources, on campus compute and storage services, IT development environments and tools, etc.)
ITS provides the Cisco VPN client for download on Windows devices, and provides university VPN profiles for use with personal macOS, iOS, and Linux devices. Remote access from off-campus to any system or application on the U-M network maintaining Restricted, High, or Moderate data must be via the encrypted VPN.
To configure your device to use the VPN, visit Getting Started with VPN.