Desktop Backup, powered by Code42 CrashPlan, is available to all campus departments. Desktop backup is available to all MiWorkspace FTE customers and all non-MiWorkspace supported faculty on the U-M Ann Arbor campus at no charge. Temporary employees, non-uniqname (i.e., shared) accounts, and non-MiWorkspace support staff are eligible to use Desktop Backup through their unit as a toll service.
- MiWorkspace Customers receive Desktop Backup as part of roll-on to the MiWorkspace service. Neighborhood IT staff will assist with initial configuration and use your CrashPlan backup to restore data to your computer when it is repaired or replaced. Non-uniqname and temporary staff accounts may be requested by unit approvers and will be charged to a departmental Shortcode.
- Other Campus Departments may request Desktop Backup accounts. Accounts are available to all faculty, staff, and students, but must be requested by a departmental Desktop Backup administrator. All non-faculty accounts must be charged to a departmental Shortcode.
Please visit the Code42 CrashPlan for Enterprise website for details.
- MiWorkspace Customers: MiWorkspace subscribers will be provisioned automatically as part of the roll-on process. Individual service requests can be made as needed contacting the ITS Service Center and following the MiWorkspace prompts.
- Non-MiWorkspace Customers: Individuals in other campus departments that wish to use the service should request it through their local IT staff. Designated unit representatives may modify or request new accounts for their users using the online Desktop Backup Change Request form.
The information below applies to ONLY non-MiWorkspace account holders. For assistance with set-up and configuration, MiWorkspace customers should contact the ITS Service Center and follow the MiWorkspace prompts.
Set up Desktop Backup Accounts
Find support and configuration information online, including How to Set-Up Desktop Backup accounts and links to tutorials.
Add or Modify Desktop Backup Accounts
Add, modify, or cancel accounts using the Desktop Backup Change Request Form. Please note there is no data limit on Desktop Backup accounts.
Configure Desktop Backup Accounts
Most configuration details are set by default, including encryption and compression. Other configurable and non-configurable settings are listed below. Those with an asterisk may be modified by the user.
|Versions to keep from last week||Every 15 Minutes*|
|Versions to keep from the last 90 days||Every day*|
|Versions to keep every year||Every week*|
|Versions to keep from previous years||Every year*|
|Remove deleted files||Every month*|
|Watch File system in real-time||On|
|Reporting||Allowed but user must turn on and configure*|
|Require account password to access CrashPlan Desktop Application||On|
Find more support and configuration information on the Desktop Backup support page, including links to tutorials.
- MiWorkspace Customers: Please contact the ITS Service Center and follow the MiWorkspace prompts.
- Non-MiWorkspace Customers: Local IT staff can help set-up and configure newly added Desktop Backup accounts. Both local IT staff and end users should contact the ITS Service Center and follow the General Computing prompts.
Additional self-service information for non-MiWorkspace customers, including technical tutorials from CrashPlan Pro, is available on the Desktop Backup support page.