A Friend account is basically a U-M guest computing account. It allows someone who does not have a U-M uniqname and UMICH password to authenticate to the U-M computing environment—to log in to the environment and be identified. It does not, however, automatically authorize that person to use any services.
There are two steps in the process that a non-University person must follow to gain access to a particular U-M computing service.
- Set up a Friend account.
- Be authorized to use each desired service by the appropriate service provider.
For example, a parent who wants to access his or her student's University billing statements and financial aid data on Wolverine Access must first set up a Friend account and then be authorized by his or her student to access the relevant data. To use other Friend-enabled services, you need authorization from the provider of that service.
Forgot Your Friend Password?
Friend Account Support
- Create a Friend Account for Guest Access to U-M Computing Resources
- Responding to a Friend Guest Account Invitation
- Sending Invitations to Create Friend Guest Accounts
- Using Wolverine Access—Includes instructions for authorizing Friend accounts