As first communicated, on August 14, Google announced the new Gmail cutover dates. This is a reminder:
- Tuesday, September 18: Google automatically switches everyone to new Gmail. Users can still revert to “classic Gmail” for one month.
- October 16: Everyone will be permanently switched to new Gmail and “classic Gmail” will no longer be available.
New features include:
- smart replies (similar to the Gmail mobile version)
- the option to snooze emails (as with Google Inbox)
- a new tool panel on the right side of the interface for easy access to Tasks (also revamped) and Calendar
Google officially released the new Gmail interface in July after a period of testing and feedback through its Early Adopter Program, which U-M had participated in since June. To learn more, visit the new Gmail resource page and watch a recording of the IT4U webinar on using the new Gmail.