Student Technicians perform a wide variety of technology troubleshooting and repair-related activities both in a repair shop and on site. They are also responsible for transporting and removal/install of computers and printers in the Campus Computing Sites labs.
- Diagnose and repair/resolve hardware, software, and networking problems with computers and printers supported by MiWorkspace and Campus Computing Sites
- Diagnose and repair/resolve hardware, software, and networking problems with student, faculty, and staff computers brought to the Computer Showcase
- Upgrade, replace, and move computers and printers in the Campus Computing Sites labs
- Help maintain stocking levels and inventory of spare equipment and parts
All Student Technicians receive valuable on the job training repairing computers and printers from experienced computer and printer technicians. They will also learn software troubleshooting skills applicable to Windows and Mac OS. Apple, Dell, and/or HP repair certification is available free of charge to qualified students. Students will also learn how to triage incidents, manage inventory, and configure networking equipment.
- Must be a student of the University of Michigan
- Able to lift and carry 60 pounds individually and team-lift 120 pounds repeatedly
- Must have a valid drivers license and a safe driving record
- Must show excellent problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be self motivated and proactive and able to respond to a constantly changing work environment
- Familiarity with Apple and PC hardware and software
- Familiarity troubleshooting and repairing printers
- Experience using hand tools such as screwdrivers and power drills
- Experience driving box trucks and maneuvering large vehicles in close quarters
Work Hours and Location
Student employees will be required to work a minimum of 10 hours per week; most work 10-15 hours/week during the academic term.
Starting pay: $9.50/hour
Interested students should complete the online application.
If you experience any problems with the online application or technical evaluation, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.