The 2017 ITS Internship Program Cohort
Information and Technology Services at the University of Michigan will be offering an internship program for the summer of 2017. ITS Internships are paid, full-time positions which provide an opportunity for students to gain valuable experience while making connections in the professional field they are considering for a career. Interns will have the opportunity to work on meaningful projects in a structured and supervised learning program.
Information and Technology Services provides technology and communication services to the campus community, with the mission to "provide an unparalleled IT environment to accelerate creativity and innovation by University of Michigan faculty, students and staff." ITS strives to foster a culture that supports rapid innovation and excellent execution through the effective teamwork of high-performing people.
Interns working on a group activity during a Friday retreat.
What's different about the ITS internship program?
Interns in the past have worked on projects involving strategic planning, responsive web design, and even app development.
Interns will receive guidance from their supervisor and coaches within their department, as well as mentorship from leaders across ITS.
Interns will learn valuable professional skills at weekly intern retreats, which feature roundtable discussions with executive directors, presentations on emerging technologies and business skills, and other group activities.
I'm Emma and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I’m Imani and I'm a student at Easter Michigan University.
I'm Alissa and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I’m Steven and I'm a Master's in Information Science student at the University of Michigan.
I'm Adam and I'm a student at Eastern Michigan University.
I'm Kyle and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I'm Tanya and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I'm Adilah and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I'm Ruta and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I'm Ryan and I'm a student at the University of Michigan.
I'm Aubrey and I'm a student at Brigham Young University.
I'm Xianyue and I'm a Master's in Information Science student at the University of Michigan.
ITS is a large organization with hundreds of services that support students, faculty, staff, alumni, and researchers. We have technical and non-technical opportunities in variety of disciplines, including customer service, desktop support, administration, project management, software development, infrastructure, networking, communications, human resources, business analysis, planning, and security. You will be matched to a department based on your interest and skills.
What to Expect
- Gain work experience through meaningful, engaging, and impactful work
- Intense focus on professional development, including: project management, resume writing, and meeting facilitation
- Roundtable discussions on career planning with ITS executive leadership
- Build lasting professional relationships and grow your professional network
- Support from ITS professionals who excel in their field
What We Expect
- Take on new and difficult assignments with enthusiasm and complete tasks within established timelines
- Show initiative and attempt to work through issues independently before asking for help
- Resolve issues, innovate, and experiment to devise new solutions to critical problems
- Analytical thinking and deductive reasoning to meet business requirements
- Communicate using clear, concise, and user-friendly language
- Provide the best customer experience by demonstrating empathy toward our users
Work Hours and Location
This program requires full-time (40 hour per week) commitment onsite at ITS office locations (Arbor Lakes, ASB, and Boyer). The program runs for 14 weeks, starting May 8, 2017 and ending the second week in August. Under some circumstances, you may be allowed to take a course while participating in the program, but this must be approved by your supervisor and the Internship Planning Team.
This is a full-time, paid position of $16-$20/hr. ITS's competitive pay is based on skills and both academic and work experience.
We will be accepting applications to the 2018 ITS Summer Internship Program beginning in December, check back for updates!