- Academics & Research
- Security & Privacy
- Accounts & Access
- Get Help
U-M Box Updates
U-M Box June Summary
Below is the June installment of the U-M Box Monthly Summary:
- Announcing Box Drive!
- The All New Box will become default.
- Box Notes has implemented the ability to open any Box Note from your Box file tree and the option to move or copy an existing Box Note to any folder in Box.
The Collaboration Services Team
REMINDER: The All New Box Becomes Default
July 13, ONE WEEK from today, the all new Box becomes the default version of U-M Box. We encourage you to review the New Box Web look page for information on the new version, including a side-by-side comparison to the old one.
If you want to switch to the new version now, turn it on at umich.box.com/on/allnewbox.
Announcing Box Drive!
Box Drive (formerly Box for Desktop) public beta is now available! Box Drive gives you access to your files on Box, streaming them to your desktop – even terabytes of data – without putting them on your hard drive. Box Drive works as a folder on your desktop that allows you to access files stored in Box just like files actually stored on your computer.
MiWorkspace managed devices: Box Drive will be available when the production version is released. MiWorkspace recommends not installing the Box Drive beta at this time. Any need to be a Box Drive early adopter should be directed to the ITS Service Center to discuss beta software risks and the requirements of Box Drive on a MiWorkspace managed device.
- If you use Box Sync, make sure to uninstall it prior to installing Box Drive. Using both at the same time is not supported and is known to cause problems. Box Sync will eventually be retired.
- Do not use Box Drive if you need offline access to your files. Offline access will be available after the beta.
So, why use Box Drive?
- It provides seamless access to your files stored in the cloud.
- Box Drive is easy to learn and simple to use because it’s grounded in the desktop.
- Files are no longer stored on hard drives by default, reducing the risk of data loss.
- Replace your legacy shared drives. Box Drive offers the same ease and simplicity you get with network shares.
What does "public beta" mean?
There's more functionality in development so Box chose to take a more conservative release approach. Please report any issues to the ITS Service Center so that we can report them to Box on behalf of the University.
Beginning today, Box Drive is available in the Box Apps.
The All New Box Becomes Default
On September 26, 2016 we announced the new and remodeled U-M Box. Since then, it has remained an option alongside the older version. We also mentioned that this new version would become the default as the older one is retired. Well, the time has come! On July 13, the all new Box will replace the older version of U-M Box. If you want to switch to the new version now, turn it on at umich.box.com/on/allnewbox.
A side-by-side comparison of the old and new versions and some short support videos are linked on the U-M Box website.
U-M Box May Summary
Below is the May installment of the U-M Box Monthly Summary:
- Have you ever been told how important it is to keep your operating system up-to-date? We hear it constantly for online security, but it is also important to keep apps working as they should. For example, one issue we often get calls about is Box Edit not working. Box Edit (and many other Box apps) don’t work on older operating systems. Box officially supports the latest two versions of Windows and OSX. More information on OS and browser support is on the Box Community site.
- Box is deprecating Transport Layer Security (TLS 1.0). On December 1, 2017, Box will disable the TLS 1.0 encryption protocol. Box will continue to support TLS 1.1 and higher. This will impact customers still using TLS 1.0 to connect to any Box service, including Box webapp, Box Sync, and APIs
- Box has launched supercharged uploads! Now, when a user uploads a large file to Box, the file is chunked into smaller parts and uploaded simultaneously for improved performance.