U-M Box Updates
M+Box April updates: Document watermarking, Enriching Scholarship, and more!
Below is the April installment of the M+Box Monthly Updates:
- Want a deterrent to data loss? Document watermarking automatically marks documents with the viewer's email address and timestamp. The watermark travels with the document from preview to download, traceable even when it leaves Box. Folder owners and editors can choose to enable this feature for files or folders.
- Editing Microsoft Office documents within a browser using Office Online (as previously communicated in our August 31, 2015 update) has been disabled with M+Box accounts. This action was taken to keep U-M data protected by our contract with Box.
- The ITS Collaboration Services team is busy preparing nine presentations for Enriching Scholarship, the annual teaching and technology conference May 2–6, 2016. Topics include:
- Google Mail and Calendaring 101
- Google Drive and Sites 101
- Box 101
- Declutter Your Inbox with Google Mail
- Securing Your Data In M+Box
- More Effective Meetings in the Cloud
- Google and Box Chalk Talk
- Where Should I Store My Stuff?
- CTools Project Sites Replacements
Sessions are filling up, so register today!
- Box Sync now includes Box Notes. Box Notes are now accessible from the Box Sync folder on your desktop.
Tip: Did you know? In the sidebar when you are previewing a file, you can choose to assign a task by clicking on the comment icon to the right of the comment box and selecting Task from the dropdown menu. Learn more about Box at Box University.
Editing Files in Box
The ability to edit Microsoft Office documents within a browser using Office Online (as previously communicated in our August 31, 2015 update) has been disabled with M+Box accounts. This was done to keep U-M data protected by our contract with Box. We are working with Box to find a way that we can use Office Online with M+Box accounts and will send out another communication once one is in place.
There are still other great ways to edit files you store in your M+Box account. Check out Box Notes, Box Edit, and Box for Office on the Editing Files in Box page to learn more.
For additional questions or concerns, contact the ITS Service Center.
Box document watermarking
- Document watermarking provides a visual deterrent to data loss by automatically marking documents with the viewer's email address and timestamp. The watermark travels with the document from preview to download, traceable even when it leaves Box. Folder owners and editors can choose to enable this feature for files or folders.
The watermarking feature is located in the Properties menu for files and on the Folder Settings window for folders.
M+Box March updates
Below is the March installment of the M+Box Monthly Updates:
- Bringing Box to Windows 10
The Box for Windows 10 app is available for use on Windows Phones. Learn more about the app and find documentation on the Box blog.
- New Box University Resource Site
A redesigned Box University resource site is available to anyone with an M+Box account!
- 3D Preview in Box - Beta Feature
Box is running a 3D preview beta feature. If you are interested in checking it out, email the M+Box team at email@example.com.
- EOL for Box Edit Prior to V3.1
Box Edit versions prior to V3.1 stopped functioning. Install the latest version of Box Edit.
Box Edit versions prior to 3.1
On March 22, 2016, all Box Edit versions prior to V3.1 stopped functioning. In most circumstances, Box Edit automatically updates itself or prompts you to update when a new version is available. If this feature has been disabled or is not working properly, you may need to install the latest version of Box Edit. (Box released V3.1 back in December, 2015, which included several improvements to Box Edit for Windows and Macs. See the January 7, 2016 update.) If you use a MiWorkspace supported device and have a version of Box Edit prior to 3.1, submit a request to the ITS Service Center to have the latest version installed on your device.
More information on using Box Edit is available in the Box Community.