- Academics & Research
- Security & Privacy
- Accounts & Access
- Get Help
U-M Box Updates
Box Drive Beta compatibility with macOS High Sierra
Box will soon release Box Drive Beta, v.1.2. This new version is compatible with macOS 10.13 High Sierra, which Apple will release on September 25. Versions of Box Drive Beta prior to 1.2 are not compatible with High Sierra. The new version of Box Drive Beta also includes improved quality of auto-updates, performance improvements at start-up, and other bug fixes.
New! Collaborate on Individual Files with Box
To make it easier to add collaborators to a file, Box is launching the ability to invite collaborators to individual files (previously, access was only given at the folder level). The Invite Collaborators feature will be available for files in the More Options (...) drop-down list. This will be gradually rolled out, beginning September 18.
Templates Available in Box Notes
Box has added the ability to create Templates in Box Notes! Templates allow you to quickly create a Box Note using pre-populated content. You can choose from default templates or use custom templates that you or your team create. This is useful when you need to create a Box Note using a standard format or structure, like meeting agendas, project plans, or calendars.
To create a note from an existing template, click Note from Template from the New drop-down list in the Box Notes desktop app.
To use one of the default templates provided by Box:
Select a template under the Default tab.
Click Create. A new note will be created using the selected template.
Creating a Custom Template
To create a custom template:
Create a new Box Note with the information you want in the template.
- Select Set this as a Template from the More Options (...) menu in the upper right corner. The note is now a template.
Once you have set a Box Note as a template, that Box Note file is the template file. Deleting it deletes the template. You may want to move the newly created template into a specific Templates folder, in order to keep track of where your templates are stored.
If you would like others in your organization to be able to use this template, make sure that they are collaborators (with any access level) in the template itself, or in the folder in which the template is stored. You can also send coworkers a shared link to the template. This will allow them to use the template, but templates sent to coworkers via shared link will not appear in their Custom Templates list.
To use a custom template that you have created or that you are a collaborator in:
Open the Custom tab.
Custom templates that you can access will appear in this list. Note: If you cannot find a template that you believe you should have access to, verify that you are a collaborator in the template itself or in the folder in which the template is located.
- Select a template from the list and click Create. A new note will be created using the selected template.
U-M Box July Summary
Below is the July installment of the U-M Box Monthly Summary:
Reminder: All New Box is now default!
- Box has a workaround for adding tags.
- To add a tag: Select the file or folder to tag > Click More Options > Select More Actions, and then Add or Edit Tags > Enter the name of the tag, press Spacebar, and then Enter > Click Save.
Box Access Stats to be Refreshed
Soon, Box will refresh the interface used to see what’s been happening with a file, including:
- “Edit” and “Comment” as additional activity types
- Streamlined pop-up interface and totals
- History feed for the entire past year - not limited to the most recent 50 events
- Most recent updates in the right sidebar
- Ability to export the file’s access statistics (coming soon after this Box interface refresh)
Get more information as well as a before and after comparison.