Shibboleth is an open-source single-sign on system used to allow members of the U-M community to log in to websites at other institutions that are members of the InCommon Federation using their uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password. It is also used to enable login using a uniqname and UMICH password to U-M Google, U-M Box, and other cloud-based services used at the university.
Here's how it works:
- The user goes to the website and clicks the link to log in.
- When accessing services provided by other institutions, the user will be asked to select their home institution (U-M) from a list. When accessing cloud services contracted for by the university, the user may be connected immediately to the U-M Weblogin page.
- The U-M Weblogin page is displayed, and the user logs in using their uniqname and UMICH password.
- For services provided by other institutions, the user is shown the identity information that will be released to allow login and can confirm or deny the release.
- If release is confirmed, the user is logged in.