The ITS Tech Consultant team is looking for new team members for both remote and in-person Tech Consulting. The Tech Consulting team is a customer facing, highly dynamic front line support team responsible for providing user support and facilities maintenance in Angell Hall, Ross Academic Center, the Union Tech Shop, and the Pierpont Tech Shop locations. The team provides support to Campus Computing Sites machines and user owned devices. With the on-going pandemic, we also have many remote work opportunities supporting various projects and initiatives across ITS; such as providing Zoom support, supporting the new Sites @ Home Laptop Loaner program, and helping with password management and DUO two-factor authentication. Although training will be provided, candidates should be prepared for a continual learning experience and be comfortable partnering with users to solve problems. A successful candidate will be customer focused, self-motivated, friendly, dependable and comfortable working in a changing environment.
- Assist faculty, staff and students with their usage of all technology provided in Campus Computing Sites facilities and services as well as personal device support
- Troubleshoot problems to the best of your ability; refer unresolved problems as appropriate
- If working remotely, maintain a strong presence on Slack and other communication tools
- Troubleshoot site hardware and re-image machines, troubleshoot and perform maintenance to printers and other sites equipment
- Physically maintain the site and workspace (e.g., clean workstations and tabletops, straighten chairs, pick up paper, etc.)
- Maintain the security of the site
- Foster a productive and positive environment in the site by providing feedback and ideas for improvement
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Site Manager, CCS Technical Support Group, or CCS Management
Learn about leading edge, core technologies at the University of Michigan. Be a part of a multi-disciplined, dynamic team. The Tech Consulting team offers leadership experiences, a hands-on learning environment and real world experiences in customer service in an IT environment.
- Must be a student of the University of Michigan
- A commitment to ongoing learning and development
- Basic familiarity with Macintosh and PC hardware and software
- Demonstrated ability to work with others as a team and independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical information (verbal and written) and interact effectively with users and technical staff
- Experience in customer support/service role; must be friendly, outgoing, and approachable
- Enjoy the challenge of continued learning and working in a constantly changing environment
- Ability to lift and carry 40 pounds
Work Hours and Location
Angell Hall Computing Site
Monday–Sunday 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Union Tech Shop
Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
Saturday 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
Pierpont Tech Shop
N/A - Not opening immediately Fall term
Ross Academic Center
Fall/Winter term only
Weekday evening hours varied based on needs of the Academic Center.
$14.50–15.00 per hour, depending on experience.
Interested students should complete the online application.
If you experience any problems with the online application or technical evaluation, please send email to email@example.com.