Are you IT support for your friends and family? Do your colleagues always ask you to help them with Canvas or other IT issues? By chance are you looking for a flexible part-time job to expand your analytical skills? If so, why not get paid for it?
4HELP is hiring student employees to provide tech support for various IT and Canvas related inquiries in the upcoming school year! Join the 4HELP team and grow with us, sharpening your customer service and analytical skills, gaining technical & real-world experience as a student consultant, while being paid to assist.
If you are the “go to” person for tech support, have worked on a help desk, have stellar customer service skills, or an insatiable curiosity—consider applying for our ITS Service Center 4HELP Consultant position!
We offer a competitive starting wage with a strong pay for performance culture. You can set hours around your classes and can further develop your technical skills right here at home.
Job Requirements & Responsibilities
- Successfully complete ITS Service Center training programs.
- Assist customers calling the 764-HELP hotline with Canvas & other ITS services.
- Assist customers via phone calls, email or chat and educate them on supported systems utilizing internal help desk tools.
- Troubleshoot problems to the best of your ability; refer unresolved problems as appropriate.
- Create and maintain documentation to support users and the Service Center team.
- Conduct effective communications with co-workers, product teams, and end-users with guidance from senior personnel.
- Must be a University of Michigan student
- Must be friendly, outgoing, and approachable
- Experience in customer support/service role
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change
- Familiarity with Macintosh and PC hardware and software
- Experience with Canvas
- Knowledge of operating systems (Windows, Mac OS) and industry standard web browsers
- Experience with Google and communication software (Windows & Macintosh)
- Experience providing technical support, demonstrating exceptional customer service and problem solving skills
- Familiarity with the U-M information technology environment and associated services
- Experience as a computer technician, technical subjects instructor, or technical writer
Experience providing support for the University of Michigan's leading edge, core technologies. As a part of a dynamic team, you will increase your customer focus while improving your troubleshooting and analytical skills in a professional customer support organization.
Work Hours and Location
This position requires a 10-20 hour per week commitment onsite at Administrative Services Building (ASB) on South Campus (near the football stadium); hours must be between Monday–Thursday 7 a.m.–7 p.m., Friday 7 a.m.–6 p.m and Sundays 2 p.m.–7 p.m. A U-M bus stop is located outside ASB.
Available Openings: 10
Hours: 10–20 hours per week or more
$13.00 per hour to start. Eligible for up to two merit increases per academic year.
Your cover letter should include the following information: (1) Specific outline of the reasons for your interest in the position (2) An outline of your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position (3) Describe your customer service philosophy.
Interested students should complete the online application.
If you experience any problems with the online application, please send email to 4HELPemployment@umich.edu.