Information and Technology Services at the University of Michigan offers an internship program each summer. ITS Internships are paid, full-time positions that provide an opportunity for students to gain valuable experience while making connections in the professional field they are considering for a career. Interns have the opportunity to work on meaningful projects in a structured and supervised learning program.
ITS Summer Internship Program
What to Expect
- Gain work experience through projects within individual departments
- Intense focus on professional development, including project management, resume writing, and meeting facilitation
- Roundtable discussions on career planning with ITS executive leadership
- Build lasting professional relationships and grow your professional network
- Mentorship from ITS professionals who excel in their field
- Please check back in late fall for updates!
Hours & Locations
This program requires a full-time (40 hours per week) commitment mix of onsite at ITS office locations and remote work. The program runs for 14 weeks, starting in May and ending the first week in August. Under some circumstances, you may be allowed to take a course while participating in the program, but this must be approved by your supervisor and the Internship Planning Team.
This is a full-time, paid position of $18-$21/hr, based on your academic level. ITS's competitive pay is based on skills and both academic and work experience.
We have technical and non-technical opportunities in a variety of disciplines, including customer service, desktop support, administration, project management, software development, infrastructure, networking, communications, human resources, business analysis, planning, and security. You will be matched to a department based on your interests and skills. Student interns are accepted from a variety of majors and are not limited to STEM.
– Himaja Motheram, U-M | Infrastructure, Database Administration
– Raisa Morrison, MSU | Infrastructure, Business Services
– Adam Wright, U-M | Administration, Communications/Video
What We Expect
- Take on new and challenging assignments with enthusiasm and complete tasks within established timelines
- Show initiative and attempt to work through issues independently before asking for help
- Resolve issues, innovate, and experiment to devise new solutions to critical problems
- Analytical thinking and deductive reasoning to meet business requirements
- Communicate using clear, concise, and user-friendly language
- Have a laser focus on customer service