Chartfield Changes

To make changes to the Chartfields that are billed for monthly recurring charges and/or local and long-distance call charges, the Department ID Manager or Designated Proxy should use the new Chartfield Change Request form on the Service Request System.

Please Note: The old Chartfield Change Request Worksheet is still required to make Chartfield changes for

  • Exchange Email or Calendar Services
  • Connected Backup Services
  • Remote/some-Off-Campus Centrex Phone Services

Note: This Google Spreadsheet is View only and you will need to make a copy or download this spreadsheet. 

If you would like assistance with either Chartfield Change Request form, please contact billing at 734-763-2000 or