SignNow is the university’s approved electronic signature software application. It can streamline your process for creating/sending various kinds of University business-related documents that require signatures and other information, where the document originates at U-M. SignNow cannot be used to sign documents another party sends to us for signature.
Individuals who wish to use SignNow to author a document need to request a U-M SignNow account. Individuals who are only signing a document, do NOT need to have a U-M SignNow account.
For most use cases, e-signatures are considered legally binding if the process meets federal, local and/or international laws and regulations. If you are unsure about your particular scenario, always review your use case with U-M legal counsel (i.e., the Office of General Counsel).
Each user of the system is responsible for ensuring that use of this service complies with laws, regulations, and policies where applicable (reference the Sensitive Data Guide for E-signature). That includes exporting/archiving sensitive documents only to storage services that the Sensitive Data Guide says are appropriate. Although SignNow offers some cloud storage integrations, they may not be appropriate for your use. For example, documents containing sensitive data should either be transferred from an individual account to a Shared or Team account after they are uploaded to SignNow, or it might be better to store your signed sensitive documents in the University's ITS Document Imaging system, and not in SignNow, for long term storage.
Note: In an effort to protect the university’s sensitive data, the U-M configuration of SignNow has been established such that completed, signed documents are not sent as an email attachment from SignNow. Instead, there is a link provided in the email which takes the signer(s) directly to the completed document.
With SignNow, you can:
- Upload and prepare a document or template
- Add multiple signers for your document
- Send a document to a designated signer, multiple signers, a distribution list of signers or email a copy of the signed document.
- Apply a password to a document/form to ensure the signer is the intended recipient
- Customize your account settings, receive email alerts and track your documents
- Use Teams to Share Templates and Documents with U-M individuals that have an established SignNow account
- Establish a Document Group for packaging and sending multiple documents to signers