The primary mission of Tech Repair is to serve the needs of U-M affiliated individuals; however, departments are also welcome to take advantage of our service on authorized hardware under warranty or charged to a Shortcode.
Individuals are welcome to use our services for departmentally owned devices; however, we do recommend following your unit’s internal IT support process prior to coming in. We can also work with unit IT service providers on hardware repairs.
To initiate service of a departmentally owned device:
- Complete a Departmental Purchase form with Shortcode and an authorized signer signature.
- Remove any accessories (such as cases) or clearly label with name and contact information.
- Bring the hardware to either Computer Showcase location with your completed form and UMID.
- Tell your Technical Consultant about any troubleshooting steps, if any, already attempted.
We will use the "picked up by" contact information provided on the form to submit quotes for approval, request additional information, and send repair status notifications.
An expedited check-in process is available for unit IT using ServiceNow:
- Assign a ticket to the "ITS Tech Repair" group. You can:
- re-assign an existing ticket, or
- create a child ticket with your assignment group in the description.
In the ticket, note issues the device is experiencing and troubleshooting steps already attempted, if any.
- Physically label the device (and any related accessories) with the incident number.
- Drop off your hardware directly to our shop, temporarily located in Administrative Services Building Room 1011. You can find us down the stairs on the right as you enter from the front of the building. Turn left at the bottom of the stairs, and you will see the main door for our temporary location. Please call 734-647-8676 for assistance finding our shop.
Please Note: Due to the Michigan Union renovation, our shop will be located at ASB Room 1011 (1009 Green Street) until the Michigan Union re-opens in Winter 2020.
We will use the ServiceNow ticket to communicate repair status, send quotes for approval, and/or request additional information. When repair is complete, the ticket will be re-assigned to your group with notification that the device is available for pickup from the shop.
All U-M owned property is insured by the university. Tech Repair has partnered with Risk Management to simplify repair or replacement of accidentally damaged devices covered by this self-insurance program.
We submit the claim on your behalf and receive reimbursement directly from Risk Management. No need for your department to file a claim, pay for repair, or wait for reimbursement.
- Name and uniqname of the employee reporting the damage.
- Brief description of how the damage occurred.
- Date the damage occurred. Claim must be submitted within one (1) year of the incident.
- Approximate time that the damage occurred.
- Location where the damage occurred.
- Name or ID number of the department that owns the device.
Risk Management-covered service cannot be initiated without this information; incomplete information will delay claim submission and service completion.
Contact Tech Repair
For general questions or information requests, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our technicians will respond as soon as possible.