Purchase Java subscription or use open source option
As of April 2019, Oracle requires a paid subscription to Java to receive important updates and security patches. Applications and other technology using outdated versions of Java are particularly vulnerable to exploitation. It is critical that Java instances use the most updated and secure version or are modified to use a no-cost, open source alternative. For more information, see IA NOTICE: Oracle Java users need to switch to a supported version (May 23, 2019).
Remove or modify unsupported Java versions
If you are responsible for maintaining Java, please update your application or other instance by:
- Purchasing an Oracle Java SE subscription for named users or servers from the ITS Software Store.
- Modifying applications to use an open source option or to no longer use Java.
If you would like advice in modifying applications, please reach out by contacting the ITS Service Center.
Impacts to ITS services
ITS completed a review for critical Java dependencies in our services, including applications and tools used in support of our services to campus. See an overview of impacts.
Subscriptions to the Java software platform are required to receive important updates and security patches from Oracle. Oracle Java Standard Edition (SE) subscriptions for named users and servers provide licensed support for Java versions 8.211 and newer.
Purchase Java subscriptions in the ITS Software Store:
Subscriptions are for a 12-month term and must be renewed annually.
Java SE Desktop subscription (named user license)
If you purchase desktop subscriptions to Java SE, you will need to purchase one per named user, not per device. Unit IT must track the named users to make sure enough licenses are purchased.
Java SE subscription (server license)
Server licenses are permitted to be used on physical servers, and are required to receive patches. Individual virtual machines are not eligible to be licensed by Oracle. Instead, all underlying infrastructure supporting the virtual machine must be licensed.
The following components are included in the license subscriptions:
- Java Development Kit (JDK)
- Java Plug-ins: Supported through March 2019, per Oracle’s roadmap. However, plug-in support remains available in Java version 8 and requires Internet Explorer.
- Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
- JavaWebStart: Supported by Java version 8 through 2025, per Oracle’s roadmap.
Note: These components require a paid subscription to Java SE, and are not supported by open-source alternatives.
Alternatives to Oracle Java SE
Before purchasing a subscription, consider if one of the following no-cost, open source options might be an alternative to Java:
- Windows: Amazon Corretto, Adopt OpenJDK
- Linux/Red Hat: Red Hat Provided OpenJDK, Amazon Corretto, Adopt OpenJDK
- Mac: Amazon Corretto, Adopt OpenJDK
If you have questions about modifying a specific application, please contact your unit’s IT department for assistance.