Big changes are coming to UM-approved storage vendors. Beginning December 2021, U-M will no longer offer Box as a storage solution. ITS is committed to guiding the university community through this change by providing a self-service migration tool to help you move your data out of U-M Box and into U-M Dropbox.
Why Are We Moving Out of Box?
Box informed U-M that they will raise their prices and end their unlimited storage offering for educational institutions at the end of our current contract. Remaining with Box storage with these constraints is not an option for the University of Michigan.
We realize this is a significant change for the university community, and ITS wants to make this process as seamless as possible. ITS has created a project team that includes representation from IT staff across all three campuses and Michigan Medicine, and we will work together to ensure organizational demands are taken into account when considering the most appropriate migration times for each unit.
Where Will We Move Our Data?
You will use the ITS Self-Service Migration tool to schedule the migration of your U-M Box individual account and Shared Account data into U-M Dropbox. Data within a U-M Box Shared Account will be placed within a new U-M Dropbox Team Folder created during the self-service migration.
What About My Sensitive Data?
U-M Dropbox may be used with some types of sensitive university data, including Protected Health Information (PHI), according to the Sensitive Data Guide: Dropbox at U-M.
You and the university community have a shared responsibility to use U-M Dropbox appropriately with sensitive university data and take the necessary precautions.
When Will We Start Moving Data From U-M Box?
Migrations have already begun for U-M Box Shared Accounts moving to U-M Dropbox Team Folders. Some units have begun to schedule their individual account migrations using the ITS Self-Service Migration tool. For more details on migrations, refer to the Self-Service Migration page.
The project team continues to finalize the migration schedule for the university community. When it is your unit's time to schedule your migrations, you can expect communication from ITS and your Unit Ambassadors.
We realize this may be an inconvenience for some and have been committed to engaging with all university stakeholders to create a timely and transparent transition process that will minimize disruption to the teaching, learning, administration, and research activities that are critical to the university.
How Will Our Data Be Migrated?
You will use the ITS Self-Service Migration tool to schedule the migration of your U-M Box individual account and Shared Account data into U-M Dropbox. Data within a U-M Box Shared Account will be placed within a new U-M Dropbox Team Folder created during the self-service migration. When it is your unit's time to schedule your migrations, you can expect communication from ITS and your Unit Ambassadors.
What Should I Do Now to Prepare for This Change?
- Create a U-M Dropbox account: Create a U-M Dropbox account (available to all active faculty, staff, and students) to ensure you maintain access to your files and collaborations as we move out of U-M Box. Refer to the U-M Dropbox Getting Started page for steps on creating your account. It is important to create an account as you cannot migrate to U-M Dropbox if you do not have one.
- Clean up your U-M Box account: Delete unnecessary private files/folders and remove yourself and/or your unit from files/folders that have been shared with you for which access is no longer needed.
- Investigate other storage solutions through the Data Storage Finder: Use the filters as appropriate for your storage needs. The Data Storage Finder includes information such as storage type, sharing options, special access methods, and pricing where applicable.
Faculty and Staff
Take this opportunity to move institutional/departmental/university data to an existing U-M Box Shared Account to ensure cohesion for your colleagues and the university.
How Can Our Unit Prepare?
- Investigate current business processes and workflows around Box. Talk to others within your unit and find out how they are using Box. Use that information to inform decisions with your unit leaders about how to recreate these processes in U-M Dropbox.
- Do not build new processes and workflows around Box.
- Work with your Unit Ambassador to receive helpful tips and information specific to your unit.
- Review the Support & Training page for useful documentation and videos surrounding the migration, Box, and Dropbox.
- Review the Self-Service Migration page for details on what to expect before, during, and after your migration, as well as information on who currently has access to the tool.
Where Can We Get More Information?
Check this website for updates and watch for communications from ITS and your Unit Ambassadors around the move away from Box. We will continue to engage with Unit Ambassadors representing the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses and Michigan Medicine to assist with migrations.