A Cisco softphone—such as Cisco Jabber or Cisco IP Communicator—can run on a computer allowing you to use the campus network to make calls. Faculty and staff continue to use their university number without requiring dedicated telephone hardware. ITS provides softphones based on your business needs and the operating system for your device.
Department ID Managers interested in becoming an early adopter of Cisco softphone technology should contact the ITS Telecommunications Analysts via the Service Request System.
With a Cisco softphone, you can easily place, receive, and manage telephone calls using your computer with an internet connection. U-M VPN (faculty, staff, or student) is required when off the U-M Network.
Consider using a Cisco softphone if you:
- Answer calls for a department as your primary role.
- Work remotely.
- Change offices regularly or don’t have a permanent office.
- Prefer not to have a standard phone on your desk.
- Have a lack of wiring in the building.
- Don’t share your phone with anyone in the department.
- IP Communicator support ends on 9/30/2022 (date extended by Cisco). ITS continues to investigate appropriate replacement options.
- It is not advisable to call 911 from your softphone as it will connect you to Campus DPSS and provide incorrect location information (This applies to Cisco softphones only- not Zoom Phones) .
- We ask that you do not forward your university phone to a personal or home telephone number in an emergency shut down of the U-M campus. This feature is reserved for critical operations. Please keep in mind that staff members using Cisco softphones can log in to the application directly to take calls from home.