A softphone—such as Cisco Jabber or Cisco IP Communicator*—can run on a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone, allowing you to use the campus data network to make calls. Faculty and staff continue to use their university number without requiring dedicated telephone hardware. ITS provides softphones based on your business needs and the operating system for your device.
Department ID Managers interested in becoming an early adopter of softphone technology should contact us via the Service Request System.
With a softphone, you can easily place, receive, and manage telephone calls using your computer or mobile device and an internet connection.
Consider using a softphone if you:
- Answer calls for a department as your primary role
- Work remotely
- Change offices often regularly or don’t have a permanent office
- Prefer not to have a standard phone on your desk
- Have lack of wiring in the building
- Don’t share your phone with anyone in the department