U-M faculty, staff, and students may request a data file of U-M employees and Ann Arbor students, for use with your email application or service.
Requests are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis; please review the approval process for more information. Submit your request at least two business days before the intended send date. Additional lead time (minimum five business days) may be required when additional approvals are needed, including:
- Faculty populations
Use and handling of the data must comply with the university's Proper Use Policy and standards imposed by University Human Resources (UHR) or the Registrar’s Office (RO). Also refer to the Standard Practice Guide, 601.12 Institutional Data Resource Management Policy.
When trying to target a very specific population, refer to two UHR resources for clarification:
- Job Classification Report
Review job titles captured by filtering on job family, IPEDS codes, free-form text filter, etc.
- Management Communication (3D) List
Select the various codes to review job titles captured within the communication category.
- Mailing lists are approved for one-time use only and are to be destroyed after use; not to be shared or reused
- Additional requirements apply when requesting a targeted email or mailing list that will be used for research recruitment or survey response.
- Home addresses are considered "Personally Identifiable Information" or PII and will not be released; refer to the Sensitive Data Guide for more information
Ready to Request?
- Read the guidelines above
- Specify your target audience
- If research-related, follow the additional requirements
- Submit your request