In the near future, Google will be changing to use a new Gmail interface. It includes many new features as well as a new look and feel. Right now, users can switch between the current “Classic” Gmail interface and the New Gmail interface.
- September 18: Google automatically switches everyone to new Gmail. Users can still go back to “classic Gmail” for one month.
- October 16: Everyone permanently switched to new Gmail.
New Gmail Accessibility
U-M Google Mail upgraded to a new interface on September 18, 2018. The “classic” interface is more familiar and may be more accessible for some users. To switch to the classic U-M Google Mail:
Select the Settings button in the upper-right corner. The Settings button is identified by the gear icon. Once you have selected Settings, select the first option "Go back to classic University of Michigan Mail" The classic interface will load automatically.
If you are using a screen reader and would like to revert back to classic Gmail:
- Once the main Gmail Interface is loaded, press “Control+Home” to return to the top of the page.
- Press the “h” key 4 times to reach the Conversations heading.
- Press “Shift+b” once to navigate to the previous button which is Settings.
- Press Enter on this button to open the Settings menu.
- Press the Down arrow key once to reach “Go Back to University of Michigan Classic Mail” and press Enter to activate this option.
- These instructions were designed using NVDA screen reader and Firefox.
Effective October 16, 2018 “classic” Gmail will be discontinued. If you revert to classic, be aware that you will be automatically upgraded again at that time and the “classic” interface will no longer be available.