U-M Box is available in individual and Shared Accounts. Each person with an active role at U-M is automatically provided with an individual account. Shared Accounts are created on request for any type of department, group or team. For continuity of data access, it is recommended that Shared Accounts be used for all university data, including sensitive data.
U-M Box is a good choice for:
- storing non-Google files (e.g., MS Office, media formats.)
- collaborating on files with others both within and outside of U-M.
- sharing file space for any size group or department.
- storing many types of sensitive data.
Who Can Use It
U-M Box is available to emeritus and current faculty, staff, students, and sponsored affiliates (type one and two) with regular (not temporary) uniqnames on the Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campuses, including Michigan Medicine.
It is not available to those with Friend accounts, but Friend accounts may set up free personal Box accounts using an external (non-UMICH) email address to collaborate in U-M Box.
- Direct your browser to box.it.umich.edu.
- If prompted, enter your uniqname in the Login ID field and your UMICH password in the password field.
- Click OK. You will be directed to your U-M Box Home screen.
Trouble logging in?
There are 3 ways to log in to U-M Box:
- By clicking the Log In button on the U-M Box home page
- By directing your browser to box.it.umich.edu — you'll go directly to the U-M Weblogin page to log into U-M Box.
- If you start at umich.box.com, click Continue and you will be directed to the U-M Weblogin page to log into U-M Box.
To learn how to use Box, see our Support section.
To fully log out:
- Select Log Out from the drop-down list under your name or image in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You can log out of all weblogin applications by selecting the all web applications link.
If you do not select the all web applications link, you will still be logged in with your uniqname and UMICH password. On a shared computer, this could allow others to access your information on other UMICH services.