End of Employment

Faculty and staff whose employment with U-M is terminated and who have no other affiliation with the university lose eligibility for U-M standard computing services. They lose access to most of these services immediately upon loss of affiliation (including U-M Dropbox, Google, Slack, Microsoft 365, and Zoom). However, a few services (e.g., Adobe Creative Cloud and LinkedIn Learning) are removed after a grace period.

As part of the employee offboarding process, it is extremely important to take time to transfer work-related files to your department/unit BEFORE losing access to U-M systems. Transfer of data after access has been removed is not always guaranteed, is a difficult process, and can result in delays or lost data. It is recommended that personal files be downloaded and transferred to personal accounts before leaving U-M.

The uniqname and MCommunity Directory profile of departed employees remain active for a little over a year. This allows the former employee to forward their U-M email to another account, log in to Wolverine Access for their W-2 form, and perform other transitional activities.

Transition files, email, and more before losing access.

  • If you will lose access to some or all U-M computing services, refer to Managing Your Digital Files and Information When You Leave U-M for information to help you transition files, messages, and other digital data that you or your department/unit want to keep.
  • Refer to UHR Procedure: 201.40 Termination of Employment for a link to download the most recent version of the U-M Termination Checklist. The checklist includes items about the transfer of shared files and MCommunity groups. (Michigan Medicine employees should follow Michigan Medicine procedures.)

Alumni status. Faculty and staff who are also alumni are eligible to keep some services because of their alumni status.

Continued access for U-M work. Former employees who need continued access to departmental systems must make arrangements with their department to become sponsored. Should they later return to the university - whether as a sponsored affiliate, employee, or student - their former uniqname can be reactivated.

Departmental and Administrative Access

Removal of access to departmentally provided services is handled by the providing department. Departments can request the removal of access to enterprise administrative systems using the Online Access Request System (OARS). This process should also be followed whether the person leaves the university entirely or just changes roles or jobs within it.

MiWorkspace units can submit individual offboarding requests for employees or have them automated. Refer to Submit a MiWorkspace Offboarding Request.