Access Removed After Grace Period
Faculty and staff whose employment with U-M is terminated and who have no other affiliation with the university lose eligibility for U-M standard computing services. They lose access to most of these services after a grace period.
- When the faculty or staff affiliation is removed from the person's MCommunity Directory profile, an automated email notice is sent letting them know that they will lose access to most U-M standard computing services in 30 days.
- 30 days later, access to the services ends.
- The uniqname and MCommunity Directory profile remain active for a little over a year. This allows the former employee to forward their U-M email to another account, log in to Wolverine Access for their W-2 form, and perform other transitional activities.
Transition files, email, and more before losing access.
- If you will lose access to some or all U-M computing services, refer to Managing Your Digital Files and Information When You Leave U-M for information to help you transition files, messages, and other digital data that you want to keep.
- Refer to UHR Procedure: 201.40 Termination of Employment for a link to download the most recent version of the U-M Termination Checklist. The checklist includes items about the transfer of shared files and MCommunity groups. Michigan Medicine employees should follow Michigan Medicine procedures.
Alumni status. Faculty and staff who are also alumni are eligible to keep some services because of their alumni status.
Continued access for U-M work. Former employees who need continued access to departmental systems must make arrangements with their department to become sponsored. Should they later return to the university - whether as a sponsored affiliate, employee, or student - their uniqname can be reactivated.
Departmental and Administrative Access
Removal of access to departmentally provided services is handled by the providing department. Departments can request the removal of access to enterprise administrative systems using the Online Access Request System (OARS). This process should also be followed whether the person leaves the university entirely or just changes roles or jobs within it.
MiWorkspace units can submit individual offboarding requests for employees or have them automated. Refer to Submit a MiWorkspace Offboarding Request.