As a U-M graduate, you receive alumni status automatically and keep some U-M computing services.
When your department no longer lists you as Active in Program, you will lose access to some U-M computing services not listed here. You may also download the U-M Tech Cheat Sheet for Alumni (PDF) for a summary of the U-M computing services you keep.
|U-M Google Services (Google Mail*, Drive, etc.)||You may continue to use your U-M Google Services, including your U-M Gmail account, as alumni.
*Alumni who prefer not to use U-M Google for their email can still retain the use of their @umich.edu address. U-M offers email forwarding for alumni at no charge.
General Computing Services
|Canvas||You retain access to your Canvas profile**, but access to course sites or specific content within sites, is subject to change by the instructor.
**UM-Ann Arbor campus only.
|ITS Service Center assistance||Contact the ITS Service Center for help with U-M computing services.|
|Uniqname and MCommunity Directory profile||Keep your uniqname, UMICH password, and MCommunity Directory profile for life.|
|WiFi: MWireless, MGuest, and eduroam||You may continue to connect to MWireless or MGuest while on U-M campus locations. Eduroam is also available to alumni at higher ed locations all over the world.|
|Wolverine Access||Log in to Wolverine Access and update your role to Alumni to search, browse, and favorite links for U-M alumni from any computer, tablet, or phone.|
|Duo two-factor authentication||You are encouraged to continue using Duo. Two-factor authentication for Weblogin is not required of alumni.|
|UMVPN||Set up the VPN service for alumni to continue using VPN for added security and access to some university resources.|
|UMICH password recovery||Enter or update recovery information for your UMICH account. You can update this information at any time.|
Computers and Software
|Campus Computing Sites and Virtual Sites||You retain access to a reduced list of software.|
|Tech Shop||Take advantage of academic pricing that may not be available anywhere else.|
|U-M Google Meet||You may continue to use U-M Google Services, including Google Meet, as alumni.|
- Former University of Michigan students who have completed at least one semester of a degree-granting program are eligible for alumni status. If you do not receive this status automatically, you can request it by contacting Gift & Records Administration.
- Students who leave without completing at least one term lose their affiliation with the university when their department no longer lists them as Active in Program. They lose access to U-M computing services after a grace period. The uniqname and directory profile remain active for a little over a year to allow the former student access to their university record.
- Download or transition digital data from your account. If you will lose access to U-M computing services, see Managing Your Digital Files and Information When You Leave U-M for information to help you transition files, messages, and other digital data that you want to keep.
- U-M policy applies. Responsible Use of Information Resources (SPG 601.07) applies to all members of the university community and users of its information resources. This policy includes alumni and retirees who continue to have and use a U-M account.
- Accessibility. Disabled alumni who have questions about alternatives to standard monitors, mice, and keyboards are welcome to contact Sites.Knox@umich.edu.