- Having their own departmental sponsorship administrator set up the sponsorship using the MCommunity Sponsor System.
- Requesting sponsorships from the ITS Service Center by submitting a Sponsorship Request Form.
Sponsorships have a start date and an expiry date. Before they expire, they can be extended by the department if needed.
Sponsored people receive a uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password if they do not already have them. If they have an old, inactive uniqname, it is re-activated by the sponsorship process, and a new password is set for them.
Services All Sponsored People Receive
These services are automatically provided as a result of the sponsorship process:
- Uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password
- Profile in the MCommunity Directory with an affiliation of "Sponsored Affiliate."
- A profile in Canvas, the university's learning management system (provided only to those on the Ann Arbor campus).
- U-M Google account. People sponsored by departments that do not use Google Mail and Calendar will not receive these two apps.
- Active Directory (UMROOT) account. Provides access to services that use Active Directory for login, such as MWireless.
- The ability to log in to and use Campus Computing Sites computers on the Ann Arbor campus.
- Use of MWireless. (People do not need to be sponsored to get access to MGuest; it does not require a uniqname.)
- U-M Box account. Only sponsored people with a regular (not temporary) uniqname are eligible for a U-M Box account.
- Use of AFS. Sponsored affiliates can create their own AFS account using the AFS Self-Provisioning Tool.
Access to services ends when the sponsorship expires.
You Can Request Printing
If sponsored people need a printing allocation, departments can request this by using the Request an Account tab on the Print Account Provisioning page.
Who Are Sponsored People?
Sponsored people are those who are affiliated with the university and who need access to online university services or resources, but who are not faculty, staff, students, retirees, or alumni. These people can receive uniqnames (and, in some cases, UMIDs) at the request of a sponsoring department or unit.
People who already have a uniqname from a previous relationship with the university can be sponsored to allow them to continue to use their uniqname—or to reactivate it if it has been de-activated.
Sponsored individuals fall into the following three groups:
1. People Who Get Regular Uniqnames Plus UMIDs
These sponsored people receive a regular uniqname and UMID, as well as a Wolverine Access/M-Pathways entry and an MCommunity Directory profile. When their sponsorship expires, their uniqname is deactivated, their profile is removed from the directory, and they lose access to U-M computing services and resources. Should they return to the university in the future, their uniqname can be reactivated. However, any terminated services, such as email, cannot be restored; new services must be set up instead if needed.
- Incoming Faculty/Staff (who may need a uniqname before they complete the hiring process)
- Academic Affiliates
- Other University Affiliates
2. People Who Get Just a Regular Uniqname
These sponsored people receive a regular uniqname and an MCommunity Directory profile. They do not receive a regular UMID and Wolverine Access/M-Pathways entry. When their sponsorship expires, their uniqname is deactivated, their directory profile is removed, and they lose access to U-M computing services and resources. Uniqnames for these sponsorships cannot be reactivated after they expire. This is because not enough identity information is collected for these sponsorships to re-establish the person's identity.
- Long-Term Guests
3. People Who Get Temporary Uniqnames
These sponsored people receive a temporary uniqname and an MCommunity Directory profile. Once the sponsorship expires, the uniqname cannot be reactivated. People can be given a new temporary uniqname after their old one expires if need be.
- Short-Term Guests
- Conference/Program Participants
For more about sponsored people and the sponsorship process, see MCommunity Sponsor System Overview.