10 GbE connections may require the following custom networking installation activities. These are billed on a time & materials basis.
- A CAT 6 connection to a network access layer switch from your server(s) with a 10Gbase T copper card.
- 10 GbE fiber connection between the laboratory or office Ethernet jack and the telecommunications closet.
- An Access Layer Switch (ALS) in the telecommunications closet if more than one piece of equipment in a lab requires 10 GbE connectivity.
- 10 GbE fiber connection between the telecommunications closet and the building DLS.
- 10 Gbps connectivity between the building DLS to the network core (if the building is still connected at 1 Gbps).
- Potential upgrades to the building DLS to accommodate increased bandwidth.
The following rates & billing information is provided to convey a rough estimate for equipment needs and potential costs. Contact your ITS Infrastructure Project Manager for more information and estimates.
|ALS with 8 10GbE Copper Ports||$10,000|
|Fiber Connection between DLS and ALS - Port Fiber Optic Module for the DLS||$1,500|
|Fiber Connection between DLS and ALS - Port Fiber Optic Module for the ALS||$1,500|
|Optional Service Agreement for ALS Monitoring & Maintenance||Varies|
Existing networking conduit/raceway will be used whenever possible. When additional installation is required, ITS can provide a design to be installed by the Plant Department. Costs vary based on distance, building construction, and aesthetic requirement.
|Fiber Installation||See ITS Labor Rates|
|Fiber Optic Cable - 06 Single-Mode Strands Between Closet & Lab||$2,750 (Est. 250 Ft.)|
|Fiber Optic Cable - 12 Single-Mode Strands Between Closet & Lab||$5,250 (Est. 250 Ft.)|
|Fiber Optic Cable - 24 Single-Mode Strands Between Closet & Lab||$7,500 (Est. 250 Ft.)|
|Additional Outside Fiber Installation||See ITS Fiber Lease Rates|
- To see the current connectivity for your location, check our Campus Building Network Connections list.
- If the installation of your 10 GbE connection is part of a construction or renovation effort, units may consider including the cost of fiber between the core network and the building DLS as part of the construction budget.