The Accounts Receivable and Billing (ARB) modules allow the university to:
- Bill (i.e., invoice) external sponsors for sponsored project awards or for external sales of U-M goods and services (i.e., general receivables)
- Record invoices as receivable items and the payments on invoices as revenue, summarizing the financial data in the M-Pathways General Ledger
- Track and report on receivable items, activity, and payments
Use of the ARB modules reduces invoicing time for external receivables and improves the university’s cash flow processes.
Your unit is responsible for regularly monitoring your receivables via ARB reports if:
- You have sponsored project/grants
- You invoice external customers through the Fin Ops - General Accounts Receivable department
Monitoring Your Receivables
U-M credits the ChartFields for your unit or project/grant when an invoice (receivable) is entered in ARB. This transaction appears on your Statement of Activity report as a BI journal entry.
There are two ways you can monitor your receivables in M-Pathways:
- Item Activity Summary in M-Pathways Financials
Use to review outstanding invoices from a specific customer or to inquire about a particular invoice balance.
- ARB Reports
There are three M-Pathways ARB reports:
- Aging Detail shows the number of days outstanding for your open receivable items (i.e., billing invoices)
- AR/Billing Detail displays detailed invoice data related to the summarized billing journal posted to the General Ledger. This report is used in conjunction with Statement of Activity reconciliation.
- Statement of Receivables lists the activity (e.g., payments, credit memos) applied to your open receivable items.