Requesting the Service
Information needed for the request:
- Billing details
- Desired size of the storage space
- If selecting the CIFS Protocol:
- Active Directory group to have full control
- If selecting the NFSv3 Protocol:
- DNS Hostnames that will connect to the share—this ensures that only designated machines will have access to the appropriate data
- Primary Administrator Name and University ID (UID) number - this person will serve as primary administrator of the share and grant access to other users
Once the form has been submitted, the MiStorage team will email the requester with information and instructions on how to mount the newly-created share.
The primary administrator (the person whose UID was submitted) then mounts the share on the designated machines and adds permissions to other users who need access (if necessary).
After this setup, the share will appear to users as a drive on their computer, and they will be able to save files to and retrieve them from their MiStorage space as if they were using a local disk.
Establishing Permission for the CIFS Protocol
After ITS creates the storage instance, administrators will need to set up permissions for their users. In order to do this, they will need to use a domain-joined PC (not a Mac) to set the Access Control List (ACL) permissions. The domain must be UMROOT. If ACLs need to be changed at a later date, they will also need to use a domain-joined PC.
Modifying the Service
Once you have completed your order for storage, you can make changes by modifying your request form with updated information. View your list of instances and update the appropriate form to make changes.
In order to cancel your service, you will need to begin by removing all your files from your storage instance. After the files have been removed, modify your request form to reduce the number of gigabytes/terabytes to zero. View your list of instances and update the appropriate form to reflect this change. Once the request has been processed, the storage team will contact you with a notification that the instance has been deleted.