The vast majority of University of Michigan faculty, staff, students, and guests use cellular devices on campus.
Each cellular carrier owns, manages, and maintains their network. ITS has no ability to provide or improve cellular coverage directly, but we manage carrier relations and encourage vendors to improve campus coverage whenever possible.
- Assist vendors in working with the university facilities, operations, and other units.
- Partner with carriers to enhance cellular coverage.
- Install university Distributed Antenna Systems in campus buildings.
- Communicate industry advancements like WiFi Calling.
- Collaborate with university faculty research partners to develop tools like MCoverage, to help determine where coverage is poor and communicate that data to cellular providers.
The university encourages students, faculty, and staff carrying a smartphone to check out the Michigan App for news, events, locations, class resources, and more. Additional information about developing mobile apps for campus can be found on the Mobile Apps Center.