- Academics & Research
- Security & Privacy
- Accounts & Access
- Get Help
U-M Box Updates
Change notice: SSO login required for M+Box
Starting Monday, August 1, single sign-on or SSO (i.e., Weblogin with your uniqname and UMICH password) will be required for login to all M+Box accounts, including shared accounts. This change is required because of security improvements made by Box.
Currently, SSO is enabled for M+Box, but not required. For example, users can log in at box.com with an external password. After August 1, this will no longer be possible. This coming change will also require that SSO be used whenever a Box app supports SSO. If an app does not support SSO (for example, FTPS or WebDAV), the external password will still be used.
We anticipate that this change will not cause any disruption as most M+Box users already log in via their UMICH accounts using SSO. However, users who log into M+Box shared accounts will need to adjust their current log-in process. Our review of log-in records indicates only a small number of shared accounts have done so recently. The Collaboration team will reach out directly to the requesters of these accounts over the coming weeks with additional information. Others who need passwords set for their shared accounts may open a ticket with the ITS Service Center.
You may review Using Single Sign On With M+Box Accounts for more details about this change. Feel free to share this information with those in your unit or department that might be interested. Please contact the ITS Service Center if you have questions or need assistance.
M+Box to end Google integration
The Google Docs integration in M+Box will be disabled on July 9, 2016. Please review the information below and contact the ITS Service Center if M+Box's integration with Google is essential to your work so that we can work with you to find a solution.
What is the Google/Box integration?
It is a feature that allows you to create and modify Google Docs and Sheets in your M+Box account. It is accessed via the + New menu in M+Box.
Why disable it?
Support tickets and our testing have uncovered issues with use of this integration. Specifically, the integration requires storing a temporary file in Google Drive that is saved to Box after the file is edited. Using this feature may result in data loss and, if used with sensitive data, exposes protected information in Google Drive. For these reasons, starting on July 9, 2016, M+Box users will no longer be able to create or edit Google files from within M+Box.
The M+Box team will re-evaluate newer versions of Google/M+Box integration as they become available. Please contact the ITS Service Center if you have questions or concerns.
M+Box June updates: Box Edit support, Box Sync support, and more!
- Box Edit and Box Sync are ending support for Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on August 1, 2016. MiWorkspace Macs have been able to upgrade to OS X 10.11.3 El Capitan since January. Per the Box OS support policy, Box supports only the two latest versions of Mac OS X. In July 2016, if you are using an impacted version of Mac OS, you will see an in-product notification informing you that support for 10.9 will end soon and you should update your OS. After the EOL date, you will still be able to access Box Edit and Box Sync on 10.9 but it will be entirely unsupported by Box including all security patches.
- Box will soon release Box Capture 1.2.3, which includes support for landscape mode in file preview as well as additional bug fixes and stability improvements. This release will gradually roll out on the UMICH domain over the next several weeks.
- New Long Term Supported (LTS) installer coming for Box Sync. M+Box is releasing an updated version of the Long Term Supported (LTS) Installers for Box Sync. This particular version is for administrators who store installers for long-term use. Updated versions of Long Term Supported installers are released to help ensure the installers can properly upgrade to the newest version of Box Sync on launch. Please note: as of June 1, 2015 there is no further support for older versions of the LTS installers.
New Long Term Supported (LTS) installer coming for Box Sync
M+Box is releasing an updated version of the Long Term Supported (LTS) installers for Box Sync. This particular version is for administrators who store installers for long-term use. Updated versions of Long Term Supported installers are released to help ensure the installers can properly upgrade to the newest version of Box Sync on launch. Please note: after June 1, 2016 there will not be any further support for older versions of the LTS installers.
M+Box May updates: Box App support and quarterly numbers!
- Box will be providing support for Box Sync, Box Edit, Box for Android, and Box for iOS. This support will be for the new account.box.com subdomain on the Box login page for all Box users.
- Good news from the quarterly numbers. We are happy and excited to see gigabytes stored has almost doubled since last quarter!