U-M Box Updates
U-M Box By The Numbers: October 2016
M+Box by the numbers as of October 7, 2016
|Active Accounts||GBs Stored||Collaborations|
Issues with Box Edit on Mac OS Sierra
The U-M Box team recently discovered that Box Edit may not work with Chrome in Mac OS Sierra. If you encounter problems using Box Edit, contact the ITS Service Center for help in resolving the issue. The solution may seem complex, but Box did post one in Box Community. An easier workaround is to use an alternate browser.
U-M Box September updates: BoxWorks 2016 highlights and more!
Below is the September installment of the U-M Box Monthly Updates:
- The U-M Box team is going to change the default settings for notifications beginning October 1, 2016.
Note: You can change the notifications on specific folders through the folder properties to make sure you're notified when changes occur to the files in a folder you really need to know about.
- Lots of exciting news came out of the BoxWorks 2016 conference where CEO Aaron Levie unveiled updates to Box.
- Box recently announced a new and improved, more personalized interface on the web. Try it out!
Introducing the new Box web interface
Box recently announced a new and improved, more personalized interface on the web. Some of the updates include:
- Simplified Layout: The simpler navigation and clearer layout lets you grab your most recently used files with one click and see right away who's accessing and editing content.
- Multiple Views: It is easier to switch between views, so you can see your files in the way that works best for you. You can now watch HD and 360 videos from Box without downloading files.
- Annotations: Soon you'll be able to make annotations on any file in Box without opening the file or saving changes. You can leave feedback for colleagues and partners by highlighting text so that your team knows exactly what you're referring to.
Additional new features will roll out over time. You can check out the new interface now and if you need to switch back to the previous Box interface, click the help icon at the top of the page. Also from the help icon, provide feedback on your experience directly to Box. The new interface will become the standard in the spring of 2017.
Resources to get started:
- Documentation - get tips and tricks for navigating the new interface and learn which browsers are supported
- Box University classes - learn about the new interface by joining one of our Box expert's classes
If you have any questions, please contact the ITS Service Center.
Change to the default notifications in Box
We have heard your feedback on the notifications in U-M Box. By default, Box likes to send email and lots of it. That's about to change. The U-M Box team is going to change the default settings for notifications. Beginning October 1, 2016, the only notifications turned on by default for new accounts will be for when a file or folder is deleted from a folder you own or have joined. For existing accounts, you can still change the types of notifications you receive from Box in your account settings, available in the drop-down menu next to your name at the top of the screen. We hope this change will help to free up your inbox just a bit.