Social Login at
- The Alumni Association allows alumni to log in with a social account for activities such as registering for events, purchasing Michigan Athletics tickets, and more.
- University Libraries provides social login as an option for guest login to HathiTrust's digital library resources (see HathiTrust login page).
Consider Social Login for Guest Access
- A good alternative to the use of Friend accounts.
- Easy for people to use. No need to create a
U-Maccount and password for something they access infrequently.
- Tied to a specific service—allows login only to that one service.
Use of uniqnames is preferred for users who are current faculty, staff, students, or sponsored affiliates. It is also preferred for alumni who use their uniqname and password frequently enough to remember them with ease. Social login is primarily a means of providing guest access.
Social login is enabled on a per-service basis at the discretion of the
Requires Shibboleth Integration
To implement social login at
Requesting Social Login
ITS expects to acquire licenses for social login implementations only as needed for use by university units, so let us know as soon as possible if you want to consider allowing users of your service to log in with a social account. Contact the ITS Service Center with your inquiry. Someone from the Identity & Access Management team will contact you to explore the feasibility of implementation for your service.