Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint Campuses Staff
Getting a Uniqname & Account
Employees hired through U-M's online applicant management system (eRecruit), receive instructions in an email message for creating their own uniqname and setting a UMICH (Level-1) password.
- After accepting a position with the university, the incoming employee receives an email invitation to set up a uniqname and account. The email includes a link to Uniqname & Account Setup.
- The incoming employee completes the online process to set a uniqname and password, and an account is set up automatically. For details, see Set Up Your Uniqname and Account. Note: If an incoming employee already has a uniqame from a previous relationship with the university, they will reactivate their existing uniqname during the setup process rather than creating a new one.
- Email reminders are sent daily until the incoming employee sets a uniqname and password.
Getting Computing Services
- On the new employee's hire date (usually their first day of work), their job appointment becomes active, their title and affiliation are added to their MCommunity Directory profile, and the standard computing services, including a U-M Google account, are set up automatically for them.
- If an incoming staff member needs computing services before their first day of work, their department can sponsor them. (See Computing Services for Sponsored People.)
Michigan Medicine Staff
Michigan Medicine staff hired through U-M's online applicant management system may receive an invitation to create their own uniqname via the web. When they complete this process, they automatically receive an MCommunity Directory profile.
Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) creates uniqnames and directory profiles for many staff members and others associated with Michigan Medicine. (HITS uses a program that interacts with ITS's uniqname creation system and MCommunity.) Michigan Medicine staff do not receive the standard computing services unless requested. For assistance, contact the HITS Service Desk at 734-936-8000.
Once Michigan Medicine staff have a uniqname, an MCommunity Directory profile, and a U-M affiliation listed in MCommunity, a U-M account, which includes access to U-M Google, is set up automatically for them. Michigan Medicine staff use an email and calender service provided by HITS instead of U-M Google Mail and Calendar.