- Academics & Research
- Security & Privacy
- Accounts & Access
- Get Help
The project list contains the current work in progress. For more information about the projects, contact the project manager.
This project is part of the Systems Resilience & Disaster Avoidance Initiative. ITS maintains a set of four servers leveraged to automate the provisioning of uniqnames and AFS space to U-M staff and students. Two of the servers, Woodshed and Fear, are maintained by IAM Operations and the remaining two, Surprise and Ruthless, are supported by Storage Operations. The fragility and criticality of these servers necessitates urgent replacement.
The purpose of this project is to replace the four servers with new hardware and new code to:
- Replace current functionality with code that compatible with contemporary hardware and OS
- Extend existing systems to assume some automation responsibility from the existing servers
- Enable high-available configuration across multiple data centers.
Upgrade Pinnacle to v6.7
Upgrade Pinnacle system from 6.4.3 to 6.7.2 to maintain vendor support and to provide enhancements/fixes for CSDC business processing.
Virtual Data Center
Design and build a “Virtual Data Center” containing a set of core technical capabilities inside AWS. These capabilities are seen as prerequisites for migrating ITS systems and services to AWS and will be available to systems and services that operate within this Virtual Data Center.
Vulnerability Management Reengineering
Current tool’s central management system will reach end of life in March of 2018; new system and/or covering functionality required before end of life of current tool.
Will need to integrate new functionality with IA’s current vulnerability scanning processes (including Michigan Medicine’s processes/approach).
The objectives for this project include to:
- Define system requirements
- Integrate Michigan Medicine requirements/staff
- Determine if purchasing third party tool OR developing internal fix (including automation) is better option
- Implement chosen option prior to current system end of life date
- Understand capabilities to best integrate with other workflow tools (potentially including ServiceNow) for HITS and ITS implementations
- Integrate with SIEM (Splunk ES)
- Implement new servers/hardware and retire currently used servers/hardware
Additional information is available in the reviewed and approved Project Charge:
Web Platform Service
ITS Infrastructure proposes that we revamp our web hosting offerings to provide a scalable, centralized, user-friendly web platform service for faculty, staff, and students with high levels of security, quality, and performance. We propose that we develop a strong cloud-based presence for most web content and applications. We also need to explore options to best handle sensitive data (e.g., PCI, ITAR, FERPA, etc.). Our goal is to shift hosting platform services to the cloud to obtain the best possible value for the university.
Yottabyte Research Cloud (YBRC)
Increasingly, research projects need computational analysis environments capable of accommodating data with proprietary, confidentiality, or regulatory constraints. This proposal outlines a scalable system for creation of virtualized secure compute analysis environments for customized collaborative research with data storage, computational resources (including HPC), and analysis capabilities, all connected by software-defined secure networks. The environments will be configurable (and reconfigurable) via software, for quick and easy provisioning and customization.